Looking to start my first reef tank!

pnsmith

Hi! I'm just getting into the hobby and looking at buying a 30g saltwater tank, I'm just not sure about what species of fish would get along with each other, and what would be good to stock a tank this size! I'm also hoping to add some coral frags, and don't know much about which ones would be good for a beginner like myself!

Hi! I'm just getting into the hobby and looking at buying a 30g saltwater tank, I'm just not sure about what species of fish would get along with each other, and what would be good to stock a tank this size! I'm also hoping to add some coral frags, and don't know much about which ones would be good for a beginner like myself!
Welcome to the hobby!! Good luck and happy reefing.. I currently run a 40g AIO Nuvo Fusion, it has a built in sump so the display is really only 30g. I currently have a good variety of gobies which don't require a lot of room to live, anything bigger and your always running the possibility of fish outgrowing tank and becoming aggressive, been there done that. I currently house in my Nuvo the following...
1x spot tail blenny
1x Royal grammar
1x wheelers goby/pistol shrimp paired
1x fire fish
1x rainford goby
1x yellow gumdrop goby
1x green gumdrop goby
2x neon goby (1 yellow, 1 blue)

Not much aggression at all, the tail spot checks them every now & then but they all get along pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How did an Ontario Canadian end up here? Anyway, My first reef tank was thirty gallons. Setting up a reef tank wasn't intended but the tank I bought came with saltwater stuff and I started researching about it and then decided to give it a try. Been a few years now. An all in one like Greaser has would be a good start and very common so lots of info to be had.

Welcome. I do recommend an AIO. I have a 16g AIO
Pair of Clownfish
Yellow Assessor
No aggression yet observed but clowns will get territorial if they start breeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!

I'm also fairly new to the hobby and went from a Fluval 13.5 to a Nuvo 20, both AIO. In the Nuvo, I have (1) Maroon clown (1) Midnight clown (1) Purple stripe dottyback and (1) YT damsel. It's an aggressive bunch (esp during feeding time) but they all get along just fine and have their own "hood" in the tank.

Note: Spend time on your rockscape early on and try to stick with it. I've redesigned mine 6x in the last 4 months, can't make up my mind!

Good luck!

Welcome!

I'm also fairly new to the hobby and went from a Fluval 13.5 to a Nuvo 20, both AIO. In the Nuvo, I have (1) Maroon clown (1) Midnight clown (1) Purple stripe dottyback and (1) YT damsel. It's an aggressive bunch (esp during feeding time) but they all get along just fine and have their own "hood" in the tank.

Note: Spend time on your rockscape early on and try to stick with it. I've redesigned mine 6x in the last 4 months, can't make up my mind!

Good luck!
I spent almost a month working on my aquascape before I even got the rock wet lol and I was working on it pretty much daily for at least an hour, then I glued it all together for the most part so I couldn't change my mind if I wanted to. Much easier to do it outside of the tank prior too, don't like disrupting my tenant's homes once their acclimated

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ShaneTX

Dont feel bad, I think Im at 2 months of rocks sitting in the tank (then I redo them- the get distracted working in another part of tank- then rocks again- etc....)
As my brother (who knows absolutely nothing about tanks/reef tanks) says to me constantly.... you are gonna put fish in there right? just put some **** water in there at least already, for Petes sake bahahahahah

While patience and planning are key, you do have to just bite the bullet sometimes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mushrooms and clownfish are pretty good starters for any tank. Make sure you give your tank 2 months to cycle before adding corals. Also, run GFO or an algae reactor to control phosphates/nitrates.

Advice is to start slow and test for the first month. Get your ammonia and nitrite to 0. Then add a cheap nice looking fish like a chromis , clownfish or cardinal. Zoas are great beginner corals. Even some LPS.

Id go for the smallest fish you can find. Gobies, clownfish and cardinal fish. They dont swim around much as tangs.