Thinking of Tearing down my Current 120 Gallon Reef

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
Any suggestions or words of advise from anyone ?

Im thinking of tearing down my 4x2x2 120 Gallon and go with either a shallow 120 or a 125 5x18x24 long tank..

I have been thinking of getting a longer 125 Gallon tank to have more places to to Aquascaping with Tonga Plates etc.

I cant put my finger on what i dont like about my current 120 but i think its something to do with how deep 24" tall and having to do maintenance placing corals etc. I have taken roughly 40lbs or live rock out of my tank and still feel like its not how i visually want to see it. I dont know if im going though menopause (lol) or what but i almost feel like my Live Rocks need to go higher into the water column or something

Goods and Bads:

Good I get to start over
Bad I have to start over

Good New tank clean slate. I get to redo everything with the knowledge i have learned along the way with all of the potential improvements
Bad Tear Down and move this beast down from the second floor!

Good Get the look i want for a Better Mixed Reef with SPS
Bad Waiting for the tank to Cycle even with my current Live Rock and 80 percent of my current water

Any suggestions on if i should or should not do it. OR try to work with what i got ?

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for any input..

T1.jpg

Do it! If your not happy, you will always feel that way when you look at the tank. Our enjoyment comes from us admiring our tanks. If you cant do that, you will never get the joy of the hobby! Just my thoughts..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
Do it! Take your time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If I do do it I will have to put this up for sale and get all my livestock and coral in tubs until I can find the right tank. Which like you said take my time and hate to rush in settling for any tank due to my fish and coral. I know as long as I have a pump and lighting they will be fine for a couple of weeks. Not to mention the new tank to cycle. I was thinking of going rimless and shallow.

Thoughts?

if I were you I would keep tank running until I had the other tank read to set up if you need funds then I would sell some coral/equipment and save until I got the tank. Never leave your corals in a tub for more than 2-4 weeks

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
if I were you I would keep tank running until I had the other tank read to set up if you need funds then I would sell some coral/equipment and save until I got the tank. Never leave your corals in a tub for more than 2-4 weeks

Yea that makes total sense. Only problem is where I would place my new tank is in the same place as my old so it will definitely take a couple days to get everything going. I do have an established frag tank to keep some of my smaller coral by my extra large leathers I will most likely sel as well as some other coral and essentially start from scratch. Which would be fun all over agin.

Appreciate your feedback

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
One thing i didnt consider is Changing out everything and keeping my tank itself. Sell off my Live Rock, sell most of my Larger Coral and remove all my sand and gut my system. Make a new Stand that sits lower and get a new sump and redo all the plumbing. Since the tank itself is very similar to a SCA 120 Gallon style i might just keep it. Although i was looking for a 5 Foot Long 18inch Deep by 18-24 Inch Tall. I would gain a longer tank but would loose the depth of the tank from 24inch to 18inch. What i am really looking for is more a shallow lagoon style tank. Does anyone have any suggestions where i can buy a shallow lagoon style 100 to 130 Gallon tank ?

Thanks!

If you get a new tank, you could always get a Red Sea Reefer in the size you want. They have good dimensions, and are super clean set ups. The 650 Peninsula that Ali at Amazing Reefs just got in is stunning.

I think the key for a good aqua scape is getting a lot more rock than you need. I like Pukani and Marco as the shapes are just more interesting to look at, more porous for harboring bacteria, you can chizzle it off in places, etc. Sometimes each live rock just looks too uniform... boulder like, so it can be difficult to create something interesting.

I do like your tank and think it looks nice though, but its really up to you and your preference.

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
If you get a new tank, you could always get a Red Sea Reefer in the size you want. They have good dimensions, and are super clean set ups. The 650 Peninsula that Ali at Amazing Reefs just got in is stunning.
True but the Hefty Price tag ! I wouldnt mind even having any of Ali's display tanks they all look like something i want in my place

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
I think the key for a good aqua scape is getting a lot more rock than you need. I like Pukani and Marco as the shapes are just more interesting to look at, more porous for harboring bacteria, you can chizzle it off in places, etc. Sometimes each live rock just looks too uniform... boulder like, so it can be difficult to create something interesting.

I do like your tank and think it looks nice though, but its really up to you and your preference.
Thanks looking at it in that perspective i think its not so much my tank itself i think part of the issue is how tall the stand is 37" PLUS 24" Tall Tank high is pretty tall thats over 5 feet plus having to reach over a temporary Canopy. Im 6'2 and its touch to reach to anything towards the back of the tank. If it lands in the back i have to get some Claws to grab anything. For me to do anything inside the tank i need to stand on a chair to barely reach the front part of my tanks substrate on my tippy toes. I agree i think it might be the rock is the other issue I have been using Red Reef Rock for the longest and i could be im just bored of the look. I think the Pukani and Macro Rock might do the trick. Thanks a lot for the idea and feedback!

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
So i think i have made up my mind. Tear it down and start over and it will be a work in Progress.

Im going to make a New Stand 30" Tall with Access Doors on the front and the Sides
Make a new Floating Canopy or use Arms to hold up my lights
Get new Marco Rocks and Pukani Rocks maybe a couple Branch Rocks or Plate Rocks
Get a new Sump
Re-Plumb Everything
Re-Wire Everything (Going to order a Apex Jr)
Re-Paint the Back Wall and Bottom of my Tank
Sell a Good Hefty Portion of my Coral Including my 15 Inch wide Leather Corals, Red Cabbages, Devils Hand and some other goodies..

Thanks to everyone that chimed in for their advice !

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
What skimmer are you getting the thing about such a small short stand is fitting skimmers under it. I like my stands tall like 40"

Latest posts