theMerch's 150 Gallon

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Well the bug bit me hard and after just 1 year with a new 75 g tank I want bigger,

I purchase a 150g tank from a fellow reefer who was planning on doing a rock wall. I had different plans, starting with the overflow.

Build list:
150g 48w x 24d x 30h 3 sided sapphire euro braced
AA Custom Sump
Exotic Marine 35" Overflow with 1.5 drains
ATI 48" 8 Bulb Sunpower Non Dimmable
Emporer Aquatics 40w UV
Rlss DC10000ii pump (may change)
Bubble Magnus DC Skimmer
Aquamedic 4 channel doser
Triton System

Here is the tank as I got it:

Step 1 remove overflow. I did this by using a box cutter, the type that can extend the blade far enough to slice into the silicon. I bought one from Dollar tree.

all clean

I plan on patching the original drain with glass and silicon

Last edited:

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
I really wanted a coast to coast overflow for this build. I also wanted to keep it clean inside the tank and have as much real estate. Even though the 35" inside box is not a true Coast 2 Coast, it will give me room to drill the returns on each side. Because Im going to be running the Triton system, Im aiming for a turnover rate of 1500 gph plus. I might need a bigger pump, but the drains will keep up.
Here is a picture of the sexy 35" overflow. Taylor at Exotic has answered all my questions and seem very knowledgeable, you can find him on R2R.

Last edited:
Well the bug bit me hard and after just 1 year with a new 75 g tank I want bigger,

I purchase a 150g tank from a fellow reefer who was planning on doing a rock wall. I had different plans, starting with the overflow.

Build list:
150g 48w x 24d x 30h 3 sided sapphire euro braced
AA Custom Sump
Exotic Marine 35" Overflow with 1.5 drains
ATI 48" 8 Bulb Sunpower Non Dimmable
Emporer Aquatics 40w UV
Rlss DC10000ii pump (may change)
Bubble Magnus DC Skimmer
Aquamedic 4 channel doser
Triton System

Here is the tank as I got it:

Step 1 remove overflow. I did this by using a box cutter, the type that can extend the blade far enough to slice into the silicon. I bought one from Dollar tree.

all clean

I plan on patching the original drain with glass and silicon
Was it difficult to stay clear of the bottom rear seam? A friend of mine may be doing a similat operation but I am worrying about that seem. Thanks

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Was it difficult to stay clear of the bottom rear seam? A friend of mine may be doing a similat operation but I am worrying about that seem. Thanks
No hard at all. I made a score parallel to the seam so I knew when to stop. The silicon would come off at the score line. You do have to be careful anyways. I do plan on adding some silicon on the bottom seal for safe measure since I'll be patching the drain hole.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes. I'm planning on a metal stand for the main tank and nano already has its wooden stand.
The metal stand would be very similar to my 75g. But the new stand dims are 48x36x36. I like having extra room in the back for power supplies and electrical, so it's now inside the sump area. Will skin it with wood panels and magnets

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk