Hey Photographers- I need suggestions

She came home with the Canon T3i with the 18-135 lense. I couldn't even play with it yet I got dirty looks... maybe this weekend she'll let me LOL

That's a great choice! You will be able to get some great macro lenses and extension tubes for great tank shots with that camera.

So I call the wifey to give her some suggestions and she says she's already done all her research and knows which one she wants LOL

She wants the Canon Rebel T3i with the 18-135 lense...

So what the best macro lens for Nikon? I have a d3200 that I bought when my son started competing. These are the lens I have so far 18-55mm,55-200mm,18-200mm that I recently bought but I need something better. Sometime my son fight on the main even and without a coach pass I'm sitting in BFE try to zoom in. Looking for a macro for the tank and a Telefoto for son matches.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
So what the best macro lens for Nikon? I have a d3200 that I bought when my son started competing. These are the lens I have so far 18-55mm,55-200mm,18-200mm that I recently bought but I need something better. Sometime my son fight on the main even and without a coach pass I'm sitting in BFE try to zoom in. Looking for a macro for the tank and a Telefoto for son matches.
Is the 200 mm on your other lenses not enough for your sons matches?

the nikon would be the 105mm macro. it's the equivalent of the canon 100mm macro.

be weary of telephoto lenses that cover a huge range. it seems like a great idea, but falls short in practice. the problem is that the cheaper mega-zooms have a variable aperture, and they don't step down linearly. what happens is the second you start zooming, your available light is greatly diminished, which means you can only increase the ISO, which results in a noisy photo (image noise).

that, and the lens performance is really tailored toward the midrange of the zoom. at the wide end, you have a lot of chromatic aberration, and on the long end, the focus isn't great, and CA.

if you really want a big zoom, get the sigmonster, it's not a bad lens, and very versatile.. :p

Is the 200 mm on your other lenses not enough for your sons matches?
Sometime it works out fine, but when he advance to semi or final round and we have to run from ring to ring its a PIA to find a good spot up close, so resort to the stand and be eye in the sky, but I would be out of ear shot for him to hear me. At his age he tends to ease up when the match is not over. It's a constant battle the let him know that he has to fight like its 30sec left and he down by 1 and its either go home with silver or be national. But it's seeping in so I can farther out , hence I need a solid telefoto.

Latest posts