Catalina Salt Water

I just picked up a small AIO from Petco and am playing with the idea of getting back in to reefing. I got out back in 2010. Do reefers still use Catalina water? Pasadena Tropical Fish (PTF) is close to me. And using Catalina water would be easier than mixing.

I tried it years ago on my brackish tank and horrid algae. MY LFS guy said never use it on my saltwater tank, so I never did. I did use Scripp's water for a brief period, which comes from the Sand Diego shore area, and had constant issues with low levels. Much better off with synthetic for so many reasons. As for good reef salt, Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and Red Sea Coral Pro are top notch quality. Red Sea is a little better because it stores for some time after mixing, but they have almost identical levels. I'd check with other local stores to see what they use, and make sure to ask how high TDS gets before they change their filters.

Isn't Catalina water and Scripps one and the same? At least back in the day, I thought Catalina is the trade name for a company that re-sells water collected from the Scripps pipe.

Supposedly, some of the piers have a through line from the ocean that you can just get water, for free, and as they have at scripps or catalina.

They use some sand bed filtration, but you could do the same with some 30 dollar pumps and basic containers if you wanted to do this yourself.

Latest posts