Nitrates/Nitrites

So, I just bought a 6 gallon JBJ about a week and a half ago from someone who had it up and running for about 6 months. It has live rock, sand, 2 clowns, and an anemone. No other corals. I just tested the water tonight and my nitrate levels were about 160. Nitrites were basically zero. Do you think it might be going through a cycle from the move? Should I let it cycle or do a big water change? Want to get the nitrates down before I add anything more.

Not going through a cycle, if it was you'd be showing either nitrites or ammonia. Since you're showing nitrates it's already done, but that's quite high. I would start with 50% water change and see how that does.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Cycle is done. Just means you have some really dirty water. I'd keep doing 50% weekly water changes to gradually bring down the nitrates. Make sure to clean the sand and rocks. Replace any old media in the filtration area and clean out that area as well. If you didn't have the nem I'd say 100% water change. 6 gallon tank is an easy fix but also easy to get out of control too.

Just curious, but are you testing nitrates with API? I used API last year and kept testing off the charts. Bought a Nyos kit and a perfect 30 like I expected. Anyways, it's not going through a cycle. If you're concerned and going off API, do a couple water changes and vacuum the sand while you're at it to reduce overall waste load in the tank.

Just curious, but are you testing nitrates with API? I used API last year and kept testing off the charts. Bought a Nyos kit and a perfect 30 like I expected. Anyways, it's not going through a cycle. If you're concerned and going off API, do a couple water changes and vacuum the sand while you're at it to reduce overall waste load in the tank.
Yes, using API. I did a water change last night and I plan to do another this weekend and then see where I am at. It does seem really high. If it continues to stay high I will look for another test kit. Thanks for the info.

Yes, using API. I did a water change last night and I plan to do another this weekend and then see where I am at. It does seem really high. If it continues to stay high I will look for another test kit. Thanks for the info.
Just food for thought. I've seen a lot of inaccurate testing with friends in my other group lately using API. Your level could be much lower than what you think. The LFS will test it for you as well. Just make sure they don't use the test strips if you go to Sand Bar.

Just food for thought. I've seen a lot of inaccurate testing with friends in my other group lately using API. Your level could be much lower than what you think. The LFS will test it for you as well. Just make sure they don't use the test strips if you go to Sand Bar.
Good thought. I am suspicious of the reading since it was so high. I may invest in a new kit as the API kit is getting low. I was given the kit when I purchased the tank.

So you know of Sand Bar? They are right around the corner but I usually go to Oceans Tropical fish for my supplies. They are also in Mission Viejo

So I bought a Salifert test kit and same results. Nitrates are high but better than before I did the water change. I will do a couple more in the next few days and work it down. I think I overfed the first few days and it spiked the nitrates. I am cutting back on the amount I feed.

Good thought. I am suspicious of the reading since it was so high. I may invest in a new kit as the API kit is getting low. I was given the kit when I purchased the tank.

So you know of Sand Bar? They are right around the corner but I usually go to Oceans Tropical fish for my supplies. They are also in Mission Viejo
Yep, I've been to both. David is cool, I bought my new tank and stand from him. Really nice guy. I brought a fish home from his shop with Velvet last year and killed my 6 year old Clowns. Totally my fault for not QTing, but I was use to having some other shops like Coral Collections and Coral Obsessions for so many years that I never had to worry about QT. After that I switched to Sand Bar. Cool place, better salt water for sure. I go there about one a month or so. I'm in San Clement now so it's slim pickins here lol. I've known Tyler for years, and overall, Sand Bar just suits me better. They're prices are higher on coral, but they get more as well. But for the most part I get my corals from people on here or the SD forum. I've still got mini brittle star offspring from what I got from you some years back lol.

So I bought a Salifert test kit and same results. Nitrates are high but better than before I did the water change. I will do a couple more in the next few days and work it down. I think I overfed the first few days and it spiked the nitrates. I am cutting back on the amount I feed.
vacuum the open front area of sand as well, it helps. You can also add some Marine Pure balls or Pond matrix to the middle chamber. Glad you got a new test kit. What did it read on Salifert?

vacuum the open front area of sand as well, it helps. You can also add some Marine Pure balls or Pond matrix to the middle chamber. Glad you got a new test kit. What did it read on Salifert?
Yes, I will vacuum with the next water change and look into the Marine Pure balls. Salifert showed about 100 and API was in the same range so it has definitely come down. Few more water changes and, hopefully, I should be good. I remember you now, it seems you were located somewhere other than San Clemente when we previously met.

Yes, I will vacuum with the next water change and look into the Marine Pure balls. Salifert showed about 100 and API was in the same range so it has definitely come down. Few more water changes and, hopefully, I should be good. I remember you now, it seems you were located somewhere other than San Clemente when we previously met.
Yes, it's been a while. I use to live in Garden Grove. My Mom is still there, but I moved to San Clemente about 3 years ago. I'll be moving up to Oregon within the year. Not looking forward to moving the tank. There's only one LFS in the area, at least an hour radius. The Marine Pure and Pond Matrix are both excellent for biological filtration. It's like having a ton of live rock, without taking up the space. I switched to that when I set my sump back up. I have mostly just Tonga Branch now which isn't very porous compared to other live rock. There's also a product made by Instant Ocean called Natural Nitrate Reducer, works really well also, for temporary spikes or even regular use, if you ever need it.