Thoughts on AI HD Prime?

I'm getting a 60 gallon cube in the next couple weeks. I bought the AI HD Prime to use. It looks to have the color output I want and says it's perfect for this size cube. The tank will be softies and a nem. Just wondering if anyone else is using this light and what they think?

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I'm getting a 60 gallon cube in the next couple weeks. I bought the AI HD Prime to use. It looks to have the color output I want and says it's perfect for this size cube. The tank will be softies and a nem. Just wondering if anyone else is using this light and what they think?
What are your tank measurements? I was using one on my 20 gallons, you might need another one...

Last edited:
Might not be enough or adequate for your size tank. Prime and prime HD version are basically the same with HD model have the capability in over drive certain Diodes and have built in AI-FI (wireless) You would better off with AI 26's/XR15 or better 52's/XR30.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
I don't believe it will be enough if you want to do corals. Maybe soft coral and some lps underneath the light. It is a more appropriate light for a nano. A 60G cube would need a normal, and not nano/small tank light, once again, only if you are doing corals, if you are doing fish only, you will be fine.

Yeah, nano reefers run single Primes on like 10g Nuvo tanks. Like they said, that won't be enough. Try a full size Hydra or Radion if you're set on these lights.

What about the SBReef sBox Pro 16? I just got off the phone with the LFS. He says he's using this light on one of his big frag tanks. I'm going to go look again over the weekend. I haven't heard and reviews on this SBReef company.

I was looking at the Prime for a 20g and from researching, most seem to think that's about the max.

Miguel (organism) is selling the Aquatic Life Halo. His corals look great. The customer service is also local and top notch

NVTE

Any opinions on a Hydra26 vs Reef Breeders Super LUX? Pointless. Apparently the Reef Breeders is still on back order.
I have both Reefbreeder and Hydra 26 on my 190 gallon tank with Sherman Rose Anenome. This is the color I observed on my tank.
The RB will give you Purple Look on actinic (because Royal Blue and Blue led in one channel, can't really change to blue look). On other hand the Hydra will give me crispy blue look like Reefbrite led bar. Since I can control each color independently, I able to add hint of red led which make Sherman Rose super red and some red/orange fish look nice even under actinic.

I have 3 AI 26 HDs over a 65x24x13. 12in over the surface and everything is doing great. The tank is predominantly LPS with a handful of softies and SPS. I have the beach bum monti and a flaming phoenix monti and both seem to be growing at a decent rate despite the tank being set up for LPS.

Latest posts