How many of us reefers have solar?

Cody Ive been looking at adding 10 more panels to mine. Its around 5k. I was thinking about lookin at the Tesla power walls as well. I didnt realize SCE charges you a storage fee on your power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's a ballpark cost on the solar systems? $20k to buy? My electricity bill has been about $300 the last couple months.
I bought solar when we bought the new house. A total of 32 panels to run the tanks, pool, AC, Etc. Cost was about 30k without the rebates and I want to say rebate was 8-9k? Can't remember exactly...

After a year you shore up with the power company. Because of usage I still owed about $60 a month. I might take the halides off the frag tank and see if that helps.

Think twice about using their financing. When I said I would pay cash, the price dropped by $5k. Right now there is a 30% tax credit. Also ask about you main panel. Mine had to be upgraded and moved. It is located under a breezeway. Was Leary when 2 companies quoted for the upgrade but didnt know how much to relocate the panel. Depending on the manufacturer, there will be a tariff.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
What's a ballpark cost on the solar systems? $20k to buy? My electricity bill has been about $300 the last couple months.
A lot of it depends on the type of component you use as well and how big a system. My system is a 6.5 kw system using SolarWorld panels and Enphase micro inverters which are both made in the US. If I went with Chinese made components, I probably could have saved about $3000.

BeanMachine

Supporter
Think twice about using their financing. When I said I would pay cash, the price dropped by $5k. Right now there is a 30% tax credit. Also ask about you main panel. Mine had to be upgraded and moved. It is located under a breezeway. Was Leary when 2 companies quoted for the upgrade but didnt know how much to relocate the panel. Depending on the manufacturer, there will be a tariff.
I already upgraded the panel to 200 amps and relocated it from under our patio.

A lot of it depends on the type of component you use as well and how big a system. My system is a 6.5 kw system using SolarWorld panels and Enphase micro inverters which are both made in the US. If I went with Chinese made components, I probably could have saved about $3000.
What's your monthly payment between the solar company and Edison?

Cody i just went with sun run solar im going to do a lease to buy my bill should be 180 a month that will be alot cheaper than the 369 my bill already is with Edison call them up they have great reviews best company i found

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Just signed my contract for a 3.9 kw system with 12 panels. In the end it cost 13k and I should be expecting about 4K back. Monthly charges comes out to around 64 dollars if I apply the tax credit toward the system. Thinking about adding 2 more panels for a bigger reef tank . Let me know if anyone is interested. I will be happy to refer and you will get the same discount. I ended up going with Tesla.

I got a 13Kw system because i will be running my 400gallon reef plus a side hustle im working on to combat aptaisa.

SantaMonica

Premium Member
Supporter
Don't forget two things that reefers should think of right away:

1. Go DIY! The scene for PV panels is huge and you can build a nice panel for dollars.

2. Go NPS! Might as well learn now about huge feedings, and huge filtering.

Just signed my contract for a 3.9 kw system with 12 panels. In the end it cost 13k and I should be expecting about 4K back. Monthly charges comes out to around 64 dollars if I apply the tax credit toward the system. Thinking about adding 2 more panels for a bigger reef tank . Let me know if anyone is interested. I will be happy to refer and you will get the same discount. I ended up going with Tesla.

That sounds pretty reasonable--definitely interested! Can you send me the details?

Latest posts