How can you tell when it's okay to add the next fish?

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
I finally got my first fish yesterday - a watchman goby (and his pistol shrimp buddy, who unfortunately got lost somewhere in the live rock :( ). How do you know when it's cool to add the next fish? How long should you wait?

as long as parameters stay good , you should be ok... But keep in mind you will want to add the fish in order from least aggressive to most. Putting in the more aggressive or territorial fish last to avoid him making unwanted evictions to new livestock :)

Its a good idea to plan ahead; make a list of the fish you want. Then add them in order of aggression, from least to most aggressive. Also, make sure you constantly check parameters after adding each fish. Every tank is different maybe you can have 5 or 6 or whatever. I also want to congratulate you in your patience. That is the key to this game.

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks! :) I did add a young royal gramma the day before yesterday. The watchman has warned it off a couple of times, but so far so good. I'll probably wait a couple of weeks and then decide whether I want to add anything else before adding a pair of clowns as the last residents. I think the only other things I'm considering are a firefish and/or a banggai cardinal, but I don't want to push the limits of the tank. Considering what chaos feeding time already is with the nassarius snails and peppermint shrimp, we have enough of a circus going on twice a day as it is!

m00u1111

Its a good idea to plan ahead; make a list of the fish you want. Then add them in order of aggression, from least to most aggressive. Also, make sure you constantly check parameters after adding each fish. Every tank is different maybe you can have 5 or 6 or whatever. I also want to congratulate you in your patience. That is the key to this game.

What he said. I had the best experience trying to get my tang out due to his aggresivness. Long story short, I had to distroy my rockscape to catch that critter! Moral of the story, PLAN AHEAD!

Latest posts