calcium reactors?

I need to be schooled in calcium reactors. I have a 135g reef with all kinds of coral and I'm going to start trying to keep sps. My question is what are the advantages of the reactor. Do I still need to dose with one and is there any bad to having one. I currently only run gfo and carbon.

Any input will help since I will be buying one soon.

At this point you don't need a reactor yet just regular water change and good tank husbandry will do it. Once you star having for than a few sps colonies then you can start looking into ca reactor.

My Tank Build
I love cal reactors. I ran one on my anemone tank with no issues. I try to just watch my alk when running a cal reactor. U won't need to dose regularly but maybe every now and then if your reactor is not dialed in.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
what are your calcium and alkalinity numbers and how long does it take for them to fall. testing answers all dosing questions.

Once u figure out how to properly use a calcium reactor, there is nothing that comes close to consistency and ease of use. IMO Peoples #1 problem with calcium reactors, is figuring out how to properly set one up and how to properly adjust it.

DO IT!

master the calcium reactor before you try SPS. IME sps can only thrive when the tank is covered by health coralline algae, which is easiest to achieve with ca/carb reactors because theyre balanced.