Nitrate Dosing

My nitrates have been almost undetectable for a couple months now, I have a refugium with a lot of Cheato grows like crazy, that's the only thing I can think of and a huge cleaner crew. So I've been told I should dose nitrates what do I dose and where do I buy it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Why not just remove some of your macro algae and not dose nitrates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Another option is to cut back on how long your refugium is lit. Smaller photoperiod will result in less growth/consumption. If its a newer tank your rocks could be absorbing nitrates as well.

If you decide to dose, check out Bobstropicalplants.com Its a planted tank site but they sell no3 (potassium nitrate) in a powder form.

2 Guys corals doses nitrates, and they like to keep no3 at 10.

When I dosed nitrates I saw a positive impact on everything in the aquarium -- Dosing nitrates also lowers phosphates, and vice-versa. I agree if you're running ULNS systems that the above advice is tried and true. If your corals aren't up to par, in growth, or color, then it's possible the missing link in your aquarium is nutrients. I like my Nitrates at 20 / Phos at .05 -- Another member here with crazy colorful SPS keeps his no3 at 40 or more.

EDIT: You can also use Seachem Flourish Phosphorous if you want to dose Phosphates.

I recall some reefers used Spectracide Stump Remover... can someone here attest to this? What was the outcome of using stump remover?

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Dumb question. Wouldn't adding a few more fish or feeding a little more often do the same as nitrate dosing??

Thanks for all your help guys. I will remove some macro algae first, and then test in a week, before dosing, sps, corals doing Good

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I know this is random but in my opinion high nitrates are a result of excessive feeding. With that said, why would we not assume it is the food that is positively effecting the coral and not the nitrate bi-product. Just some coral food for thought lol

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Dumb question. Wouldn't adding a few more fish or feeding a little more often do the same as nitrate dosing??

I know this is random but in my opinion high nitrates are a result of excessive feeding. With that said, why would we not assume it is the food that is positively effecting the coral and not the nitrate bi-product. Just some coral food for thought lol
With feeding more comes PO4 as well. For me dosing KNO3, I'm strictly trying just to raise the NO3 and with a bonus of Potassium since regular IO is usually low on potassium.

Latest posts