Battling Cyanobacteria and Hair algae

I am ready to start fighting the good fight and reduce the Cyanobacteria in the tank. It looks like a solid piece of algae layer stuck pretty good. What are method you guys use? Cuc chemical warfare? Give me ideas I am willing to experiment. I am currently doing NOPOX and its reduce the algae what else can I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Quick question what are your light schedule and filtration method, also your no3(nitrate) and po4(phosphates) ?

Quick question what are your light schedule and filtration method, also your no3(nitrate) and po4(phosphates) ?
light schedule is 11:00a - 7:00p
phosphate; .04ppm
nitrate; 2ppm
i have a aio and only have filter floss and skimmer. today i hooked up a hob refugium

djrice69

Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Question two what flow you have running

djrice69

Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
If you got nothing in it try vibrant

[MENTION=335]djrice69[/MENTION] I do have zoa and lps in the tank along with fish
I upgraded the return pump with Rio 360gph pump and i have a jebao pp-8 full blast and i have the IM spinners

Kessler

Hey, I haven't checked the forums in a while so I didn't see this, but I would've gave you my leftover chemiclean that I used on my previous tank! It seemed to get rid of the cyano. The only thing though is the hair algae took over after that, which is why I didn't transfer any rocks over when I set up my new tank.

What does Vibrant do for Cyano, Lazy and I want your take? I have a couple areas that crop up worse when my GFO is old that would like to get rid of!

djrice69

Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Virbrant gets rid of the common hair algae, macro algae, brush algae, but once the algae dies off it releases some no3 po4 or what ever it consumes. Once algae is gone coral will take up nutrients from the die off if you don't have enough corals it becomes cyano. When that happens I just do a lights out for 2-3 days to keep cyano down while your corals feed off the extra nutrients and hopefully your skimmer

Ive never heard this before.
Wiped out my pod population in my current set up. Used before without side effects but this time it did. After it happened I did a search and found others in past posts saying the same thing. I will add I use Ultra Life, not Chemiclean.

Virbrant gets rid of the common hair algae, macro algae, brush algae, but once the algae dies off it releases some no3 po4 or what ever it consumes. Once algae is gone coral will take up nutrients from the die off if you don't have enough corals it becomes cyano. When that happens I just do a lights out for 2-3 days to keep cyano down while your corals feed off the extra nutrients and hopefully your skimmer
So would your recommend remove. The macroapgae before hand? Then dosing vibrant after Ill the die of put back the macro to consume the nutrients?

djrice69

Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
So would your recommend remove. The macroapgae before hand? Then dosing vibrant after Ill the die of put back the macro to consume the nutrients?

Yup should remove it

Latest posts