My Aiptasia Solution? Klein's Butterfly

So a few months back I was looking for a way to rid of my aiptasias and found no ideal solution. Berrghias were just too expensive and hit or miss and would have made expensive snacks for my wrasses, filefish were ugly and hit or miss, peppermints never worked for me (even upwards to 15-20 at a time), and a copperband was just too delicate and no guarantee it would eat aiptasia.

So I said F---- it and bought a Klein's Butterfly. I read they're pretty aggressive when it comes to eating aiptasia, but that they were NOT reef safe, which is typical for butterflies. He's been a pretty chill fish and picks at the rocks the majority of the day. So far, I noticed a significant number of aiptasia are either retracted into the rock or gone.

I don't have much coral in the tank, other than a branching hammer. The first time I put it in, he became curious and picked at it a few times and then he left it alone. So far, the hammer has been untouched. However, I'm not certain about other corals, but I believe they usually target LPS and softies, but not SPS. I will be attempting to add some zoas in the near future to see what happens.

This is by no means an endorsement of this fish, but perhaps, a very unique experience and the exception to the rule of a coral eating butterfly fish. I know there are tanks out there that have also incorporated butterflies into their mixed reef with success, but that is always a gamble.

Overall, I am enjoying seeing less aiptasia in my tank, but I cannot say with certainty if he will be reef safe when I add more corals.

m3177o

Im going to assume you want to go the natural way. but theres this satisfying feeling when I use aiptasia x.