Live rock vs Ceramic Biomedia Plate, which works best?

Avstepper

Ok so I am a newb, but I have a question to ask as I am setting up our 1st reef tank.
I was wondering if anybody had used the Ceramic Biomedia blocks like this:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-plate-1.html

instead of live rock in there sump?
and if so how did it work out? or is live rock better to use in the sump ?
can anybody help me out with this and which would be better to use in our sump?

opinions on this would be great to hear, thanks

I've always been a fan of live rock and have used it in my current sump and overflow of my other previous cube tanks. Also we use live rock in all the sumps at work so my vote goes to live rock on this one. i can't speak of any experiences with that product though as I've never seen it before

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Live rock always works but I've always wanted to try those bio plates or blocks. Either should work, just preference.

xmas_one

I'm not fully convinced it's necessary to run either in your sump. Any claims of "super-duper micro-bio-surface area" by the plate manufacturer/salesmen kinda breaks down once you consider everything in the tank is somewhat encapsulated with biofilm anyways.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm not fully convinced it's necessary to run either in your sump. Any claims of "super-duper micro-bio-surface area" by the plate manufacturer/salesmen kinda breaks down once you consider everything in the tank is somewhat encapsulated with biofilm anyways.
Kinda true. I wouldn't add it for any "super duper surface area" because I don't believe that to be true. You can actually throw anything in your sump and it will eventually be covered in bacteria. but the higher amount of like rock or plates, the more bacteria you will have to cycle your tank after incoming mates.

do you have enough rock in the main tank? If so, no need to add in the sump. Keep the sump as clean as possible especially from detritus built up. Those Biomedia Plate has been around for long time in freshwater before they come to saltwater tank. It tends to build up or trap a lot of detritus/ big particles within itself without high flow, but it work for freshwater tank as large surface area for bacteria with some maintenance.
Save money.

IMO, pourous ceramic is nothing new & the sales pitch of sellers is also getting old.

In terms of filtration, they look to me like high tech bioballs. Just another tool to supplement good husbandry. Why dont natural reefs suffer old tank syndrome? Why dont all their LR & LS get clogged over time? Sure more flow, more volume, but imo its due to continuous incorporation of C, N & P into living things, as well as export out of the reef through a huge diversity of living things.

In terms of what the ceramics are made out, im not too sure its good for the reef. Remember, Live Rock & dead Live Rock are old coral skeletons. In all natural barrier reefs most of the structure is biological in orgin. If it werent for dead calcifying coral the area would be flat & barren with NO rock. Only the sand floor is of non-biologic origin, being ground up silicates. But in this inorganic substrate lives an impressive weight of worms, bacteria & other living things that export waste. Imo ceramic blocks and plates are like dead live sand.

The LR in my tank also participates in the chemistry of the captive reef as it has most of the minerals coral need & in the right proportions. There is a reason carx media is crushed coral.

That being said, i plan to try some ceramic in my fowlr so i can remove sone LR from the DT & free up swimming space, because ive never had a problem with N&P.

I am trying Matrix, a type of porous rock, but comes in small 1/2" pebbles. Supposed to be a lot more porous except you can remove and rinse it when you want. They recommend having a couple of bags of the stuff and periodically (every 4-6 months) pulling out a bag and rinsing it. I've got about 200lbs of live rock in my display and then 4 liters of this stuff in my sump area. So far my tank is running well and I'm definitely overfeeding trying to get my clowns to spawn again. Other things that might contribute is I'm running two reactors, have a large sump and fuge, so I can't say for sure. The 4L (about 5lbs) is supposed to be like 100lbs of live rock.