Long overdue

Hey everyone, started this hobby about a year and a half ago. Bought a 20 gal all in one tank from Pet Kingdom in San Diego to use for fresh water fish. Got the itch for salt water around 3 months after that. Got tired of taking 50+ molly babies every month to the LFS lol. I saw an ad on craigslist for a 40 gal with stand, livestock and canister filter for $100 so I had to jump on it.
The freshwater

1st saltwater

Then I got a metal halide

And then my first T5, 48 inches....

After 4 months with that I got the itch to upgrade hehe. Upgraded to a 48 inch 90 gal.

Then some leds, sand, coral and patience

After 8 more months I finally scored a deal to upgrade to a 100g 60 inch tank. I love the length of the 60 inch vice 48 inch tank. Love not getting my armpit wet to move a coral... lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

chireef

Haha I may be like you because I relate to your story lol started off freshwater planted then salt water then started to upgrade up every 3 to 4 months and I may not be done with upgrading lol nice tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha I may be like you because I relate to your story lol started off freshwater planted then salt water then started to upgrade up every 3 to 4 months and I may not be done with upgrading lol nice tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply chireef! I even remember telling myself I'd never do saltwater because it was too much work... but really I think I was just intimidated haha
Good luck with the upgrading and I know exactly how you feel!

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for the reply chireef! I even remember telling myself I'd never do saltwater because it was too much work... but really I think I was just intimidated haha
Good luck with the upgrading and I know exactly how you feel!

saltwater much less work than discus and planted tanks

What the chinita said.

Oh and welcome
Pgr11 and lowbudget, I feel like drakes song.... started from the bottom now we here. Lol
I've slowly traded saltwater gear and corals for more gear and more corals. Inching my way towards where I am now. Honestly the only things I've bought brand new were my chinese LED's and a new pump for my skimmer. Traded for everything except the new corals I just bought from AquaSD which I'll post soon. Even with those LED's I've now upgraded to reef breeders photon 48.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
very nice. this was what this hobby was about. trading and bartering. now its all about cash money dolla dolla bills yaaa

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Yep started with planted, then discus because I always heard how much work saltwater reef tanks are. It's been about 2 years now and I've gone from 8g to a 20L,24 cube,20 cube, 66 and now 180+66g fuge...and that's just saltwater! Loved every step of the way though.

+1 lowbudget. I attempted a few high tech planted tanks and it was a nightmare! Just seemed like there weren't good enough test kits for everything I was adding to the system, too much guess work.

Very nice setups. You like the led over t5s?

Yep started with planted, then discus because I always heard how much work saltwater reef tanks are. It's been about 2 years now and I've gone from 8g to a 20L,24 cube,20 cube, 66 and now 180+66g fuge...and that's just saltwater! Loved every step of the way though.

+1 lowbudget. I attempted a few high tech planted tanks and it was a nightmare! Just seemed like there weren't good enough test kits for everything I was adding to the system, too much guess work.

Very nice setups. You like the led over t5s?
Hello Smite! There were some pretty cool looking freshwater fish at pet Kingdom but I would always find myself walking to the saltwater section and doing the ohhhh, ahhhhh a lot more lol. I'm following your footsteps then since you have the bigger tank.... 180g it is!
I love LED's over the Tek Light T5 I had because the colors just popped so much better. At the time I had the T5 I didn't really think too much of it but I didn't know anything back then and had no sps to grow. How's the rock work in your 180? I had a lot in my last tank I want to go with a less is more approach this time around. I haven't had any time to make my rock structures yet but someday I'll get around to it hehe.

Here's the most recent additions to my tank....

And the best for last...

And I finally updated the look. Cut down the 2x4 to a manageable size and painted it.

To:

Update on the tank... coming along nicely! :)
Added another mushroom:

And 2 anemones for my clown fish :)

And I finally moved the frags to their locations on the rocks. Looks a lot cleaner without the frag rack sitting right in the middle lol.

Still have a few rocks to add but for the most part I want to keep the open space in the middle.

Sent from my Galaxy S6