My YWG got dumped for a yasha :( What's next?

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
I bought a Yasha/Randall's pair 3 weeks ago. I already have a YWG/Randall's that have been paired up since September. New Shrimp started burrowing under a rock right away but the Yasha disappeared for 2 weeks and finally showed up a few days ago on the opposite side of the tank (shocked the hell out of me, I had written it off as dead).

This morning the Yasha had moved into a burrow under the same rock the YWG and shrimp live under, a burrow directly on the other side of the entrance the YWG uses. And wouldn't you know, it's paired up with the YWG's shrimp! The shrimp was mega-busy enlarging the burrow while the Yasha stood guard. Classic goby/shrimp pair behavior and that's the most I've seen that shrimp since we got it. In fact the behavior was more typical and they seemed more confident than I ever saw the YWG/shrimp act. It's clearly love.

Problem is I know those burrows are connected under the rock... what happens next? Does the YWG kill the Yasha? Do they somehow live happily ever after? Anyone had any experience with different types of shrimp gobies and a single shrimp cohabitating?

I feel bad for the YWG... ditched for a prettier fish. He could still find the other pistol somehow, but he rarely leaves his burrow. And with the way his luck is running the other pistol will pair up with the first one and live with the Yasha and the YWG will be Forever Alone. :(

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I bought a Yasha/Randall's pair 3 weeks ago. I already have a YWG/Randall's that have been paired up since September. New Shrimp started burrowing under a rock right away but the Yasha disappeared for 2 weeks and finally showed up a few days ago on the opposite side of the tank (shocked the hell out of me, I had written it off as dead).

This morning the Yasha had moved into a burrow under the same rock the YWG and shrimp live under, a burrow directly on the other side of the entrance the YWG uses. And wouldn't you know, it's paired up with the YWG's shrimp! The shrimp was mega-busy enlarging the burrow while the Yasha stood guard. Classic goby/shrimp pair behavior and that's the most I've seen that shrimp since we got it. In fact the behavior was more typical and they seemed more confident than I ever saw the YWG/shrimp act. It's clearly love.

Problem is I know those burrows are connected under the rock... what happens next? Does the YWG kill the Yasha? Do they somehow live happily ever after? Anyone had any experience with different types of shrimp gobies and a single shrimp cohabitating?

I feel bad for the YWG... ditched for a prettier fish. He could still find the other pistol somehow, but he rarely leaves his burrow. And with the way his luck is running the other pistol will pair up with the first one and live with the Yasha and the YWG will be Forever Alone. :(
I have two YWG they are perfectly fine without a shrimp. Mine is two years old now.