Can Coralline Algae eating away glass tank????

Can Coralline Algae eating away glass ? I got used tank with dried Coralline Algae in the back. When I use my hand to take a piece of it out, the back glass has many tiny flake chips on it. The area without coralline algae are fine. Now I am nervous to remove the rest of it. This is my 1st time seeing this kind of flake chips.
Anyone has any idea how it is happen ????

Can Coralline Algae eating away glass ? I got used tank with dried Coralline Algae in the back. When I use my hand to take a piece of it out, the back glass has many tiny flake chips on it. The area without coralline algae are fine. Now I am nervous to remove the rest of it. This is my 1st time seeing this kind of flake chips.
I've seen hazing on glass tanks when you don't remove old coraline algae or let it build up for a long period of time. This is probably similar. Sorry Daniel.

I've seen hazing on glass tanks when you don't remove old coraline algae or let it build up for a long period of time. This is probably similar. Sorry Daniel.
thanks Cody.
I don't have tank with coralline growing in the back. didn't know layer of thick algae can cause that damage to tank. Now I have to find way to cover it. I like to keep my back tank clean

Interesting. Would it be better if you soak it in vinegar first to soften the coraline?

Did you try soaking the tank with muriatic acid?
No Vince,
haven't fill the tank with water yet. I don't want to go with Muriatic Acid route. Vinegar is what I am going to try.
yes it does sorry bro
Yeah bro
Wow... thats crazy. I'm scraping my glass as we speak. Sorry bro.
No problem bro.
I am worry about the chip now. That is one part of the back. The other part too. Look like the back will be in bad look.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
[MENTION=24]stryker[/MENTION] he bought a tank and the guy never scrap his coraline algae on the sides. when he used vinegar to clean it up it has the same spots.

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
vinegar isn't bad way to go, but muriatic acid is much cheaper way to go. I did muriatic acid on my old 180 when I first for it and it worked well. If the tank isn't that big then it probably isn't a big difference. both will do the same thing.

good luck!

[MENTION=24]stryker[/MENTION] he bought a tank and the guy never scrap his coraline algae on the sides. when he used vinegar to clean it up it has the same spots.
Man. I should learn this before getting the tank.

vinegar isn't bad way to go, but muriatic acid is much cheaper way to go. I did muriatic acid on my old 180 when I first for it and it worked well. If the tank isn't that big then it probably isn't a big difference. both will do the same thing.

good luck!
It is 240. I am nervous to deal with acid.

dang daniel... sucks... but a little chip here and there shouldn't be that bad... i agree using either vinegar or acid to get rid of the calcium build up would be the best way to do it... or... get the back panel replaced... depending on how good the other panels are, i would really think about the next move...

I'd get Advanced Aqua to replace the back panel. Unless you have coraline cover it again its going to look terrible.

I'd be worried about the chips though from an integrity of the glass, I've never seen that. Only hazing and fogging of the glass.

Digging up an older post. Glass does have small pits in it. Thus the reason flies and other animals can climb it. They have small hairs on their feet that are able to get in those small pits and hold on. Coraline and calcium deposits are also able to get into those pits and cause the hazing that cannot be cleaned. Soaking in vinegar or other acids that are able to penetrate clear it up but never like it was new. Still looks good to our eye since we see it compared to what it was. Like those old tanks in our garage. We thought we cleaned them before putting away but when we look at them again they look unusable because of the cloudy glass.
The flaking glass is the coraline expanding and popping the glass. Ever see a retaining wall or pilaster or pier column made of cement and a chunk is gone and you see the rebar? That's because the rebar as it rusts expands and eventually pops off weak parts of the column. Detrimental? It's pretty common and those piers and walls are still standing under tremendous weight. Would I trust a tank filled with hundreds of gallons of water in my house???????