Does anyone have an acrylic tanks set up with sand?

lvghost

I was told not to put a sandbed for acrylic tanks because the tank will get scratched eventually. Does anyone have a an acrylic tank running sandbed with no issues? TIA

Every tank will get scratched EVENTUALLY. There are other reasons to not run sand (and an equal amount of reasons for having sand) but Ive never heard that one.

I think the rocks is a bigger concern than sand and does it really matter if the bottom panal is scratched anyways?

lvghost

cshplumber- I agree, they all get that way with time. I want to run sandbed for the looks mostly, I really like the natural ocean look, and if they can help with the stability of the tank, I'd figured that would be a plus. My concern was the bottom portion of the front and side walls getting scratched when the sand it being moved around. I'll try to be as careful as I can. Thank you for your comment.

lvghost

I think the rocks is a bigger concern than sand and does it really matter if the bottom panal is scratched anyways?
You're right, the rocks are something I haven't thought much about and I find myself doing that with my glass tank sometimes carelessly so thank you for the reminder. I'm okay with the bottom scratching, it was more the bottom part of each panel in view that I wanted to ask about.. I was wondering if anyone has an acrylic tank with sandbed they are doing well. Thank you again for the comment. I appreciate it.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
make sure to get a good algae magnet cleaner like the Tunze one. Algae magnets that trap sand are major culprits for scratching up tanks.

Sand alone will have no effect on the tank but, 1 tiny grain of sand stuck in a magnet tank cleaner will quickly trash a tank (acrylic or glass). I am very careful in my glass tank but use magic erasers on acrylic.

lvghost

make sure to get a good algae magnet cleaner like the Tunze one. Algae magnets that trap sand are major culprits for scratching up tanks.
I'm going to be very careful on that part using an acrylic scrapper as I get near the bottom. I'll have to try the Tunze magnet cleaners one day, I've only used Mag-floats lol.

lvghost

Sand alone will have no effect on the tank but, 1 tiny grain of sand stuck in a magnet tank cleaner will quickly trash a tank (acrylic or glass). I am very careful in my glass tank but use magic erasers on acrylic.
I tried using magic erasers on my glass tank a few times and noticed they break apart easily. Maybe, I'm using more pressure than needed. I'm going to take your advice to use them on this new acrylic because I know that is the most safest way to keep it clean. Thank you for your comment.

Magic erasers work great for basic cleaning of daily growth of algae but anything harder like Coraline algae will tear them up. You will still need a scraper blade for that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts