Automatic DIY Skimmate Container On The Cheap!

I was having problems with my skimmer cup overflowing at times due to my own personal neglect. I was contemplating adding a float switch to the lid, but I run a neck cleaner where I need to remove the lid/motor and clean the gunk off of it once in a while, so I decided against that because I would have to plug and unplug cables and the switch would get covered in skimmate "mud."

I contemplated on buying an Avast Skimmate locker, but that was way too expensive for its purpose and required be to unscrew the lid and I hate thumb screws! So that was a no go. Finally, after much research and talking to Scott/Slief, he showed me his set up and came up with this contraption that isn't half bad at all, if I don't say so myself!

I have an Apex, so I am using that to control the float switch.

Materials:
1) 1 gallon Space Saver jug from BRS $12: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/space-saver-jug-thin-4-liter-1-05-gallon.html

2) Vertical float switch $11 at BRS (I had an extra): http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/float-switch-vertical-mount.html

3) DC male/female connectors 5-pack from Amazon $6.27: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014H36SI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4) Two Little Fishies 1/2" valve at BRS: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/two-little-fishies-ball-valve-1-486d016ed2f8a1de28c4b664be01f35f.html

Instructions:

1) Solder male/female DC adapter to float switch to make a quick disconnect cable when you need to empty the skimmate jug. The bare wires connect to the Neptune Breakout Box.

[Float]---------------[|Female|] =[|Male|]----------------< [Breakout Box]

2) Drill a hole on top of the jug in order to mount the float switch on top of the jug--I think it's a 1/4" hole (not certain)

3) Drill a hole on the cap to attach the skimmer hose

4) Attach TLF ball valve to skimmer hose so you can close the valve when cleaning cup

5) Program Apex outlets: place code under respective outlets

[SKIMMER] <--will turn off skimmer when the skimmate jug is full

If SW1 CLOSED Then OFF

[base_email] <--This is the outlet that allows your Apex to send you notifications to your email/phone during an event

If SW1 CLOSED Then ON

[base_Alarm] <--Triggers sound alarm during an event

If SW1 CLOSED Then ON

6) Enjoy!

In summary, when the level on the skimmate jug fills up and triggers the float switch, it will shut down the skimmer, send a notification to Fusion (or email/text), and will trigger an annoying sound alarm on your Apex so you're motivated to empty the jug. In addition, soldering the male/female adapter to the float switch allows you to quickly disconnect the float switch to empty out the container without messing with the wiring in the breakout box.

Rest assured that the height of the float switch on the jug will not cause the container to overfill. I have tested it numerous times and the container has never overflowed when the float switch is triggered.

Pictures

That's too complicated n complex. Haha

Im just as lazy and forgetfull as you, more or less.

I attached a valve (any), to my drain line leading to a container (any, like milk jug). Set alarm on my phone to go off every week on Friday as reminder. Set alarm to repeat itself every week. Done. I'll ger an annyoying sound every friday, just like apex. Cost under $5..

That's too complicated n complex. Haha

Im just as lazy and forgetfull as you, more or less.

I attached a valve (any), to my drain line leading to a container (any, like milk jug). Set alarm on my phone to go off every week on Friday as reminder. Set alarm to repeat itself every week. Done. I'll ger an annyoying sound every friday, just like apex. Cost under $5..
LOL. I'm way too anal to rely on timers...and even more paranoid at a lack of failsafes. =P

But what ever works! Haha

Very cool! I have an OT question about your skimmate cup drain line -- What size is the tubing? I too have a Vertex 130i but my skimmate drain is like 2.5" long at best.. What size / where to get a longer one?

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
That's a big container. Here is mine for reference. I think I spent the same amount or less and I have a bigger container to use if I need to swap out as well. If the float is triggered it will sent me a text and shut down the skimmer tell it's fixed.

Very cool! I have an OT question about your skimmate cup drain line -- What size is the tubing? I too have a Vertex 130i but my skimmate drain is like 2.5" long at best.. What size / where to get a longer one?
This is a bubble king double cone 200, so the measurement is all metric. I was told to possibly find 1/2" silicone tubing and zip tie it to secure it.

Latest posts