Attn: Regal Angelfish Lovers! Zoa Nippers...

For anyone who has owned a regal angel fish, you know they are coral nippers. I was just wondering what everyone's experience was with regals and nipping. I recently decided to add coral to my big tank and bought a wild/maricultured zoa colony and he's been nipping at it. I have never tried putting in Palys, but these zoas are rather small, so I don't know if size makes a difference. He doesn't nip at LPS except for acans. The twist about this fish is that I bought it from Diver's Den and they said it ate everything they threw at it, but when it got to my tank, it ONLY ate pellets and nothing more. So it's a rather picky eater. He also picks at nori, but that's it.

Anyone else have any experience with coral nipping angels and zoas and palys?

BeanMachine

Supporter
Regals or Angels in general?

My last Bellus Angel was picking / eating the skirts of my zoas. And the Genicanthus are supposed to be reef safe.

Regals or Angels in general?

My last Bellus Angel was picking / eating the skirts of my zoas. And the Genicanthus are supposed to be reef safe.
Either or. I'm just curious if the bigger size of palys will make a difference in him munching on them. These are just regular zoas encrusted on a rock (not sure the specific scientific name).

in my experience with large angels, they are curious nippers. I would take a piece of fresh broccoli, put it in the microwave for 10-30 seconds. Suspend it at the top of the tank. The angels and tangs love it. they actually have to bite off a piece. this seemed to keep them away from my zoas and SPS. Nothing would keep them away from an elegance or a clam.

When i ran my fowlr acouple years ago my imperator cleaned out all my cheap zoas when I got em, including aiptasia. He went to town on those, and they were huge some ranging at least quarter size or bigger

I have a Regal Angel and yes the eat Zoas and pick at lps never touch acans. I've had mine for about 7-8 months great fish eats everything I put in will eat nori out of my hand. I'm thinking of getting rid of him because I want to start get back in to keeping Zoas but it's a hard decision it's my favorite fish I've owned lots of personality and a great eater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fish

Mines ate all my zoas even my rainbow incinerators, but left all the green palys and everything else alone lol..... still my favorite fish though.

For anyone who has owned a regal angel fish, you know they are coral nippers. I was just wondering what everyone's experience was with regals and nipping. I recently decided to add coral to my big tank and bought a wild/maricultured zoa colony and he's been nipping at it. I have never tried putting in Palys, but these zoas are rather small, so I don't know if size makes a difference. He doesn't nip at LPS except for acans. The twist about this fish is that I bought it from Diver's Den and they said it ate everything they threw at it, but when it got to my tank, it ONLY ate pellets and nothing more. So it's a rather picky eater. He also picks at nori, but that's it.

Anyone else have any experience with coral nipping angels and zoas and palys?
Sorry to derail the thread. I have a CBB that ate frozen at the LFS and as soon as I put it in my tank he stopped eating. He lived of pods for a bit and then started eating pellets. I found NLS MAX and gave it a shot. Now the CBB is nice and fat. Heres the link if you want to try it

https://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spe...ords=new+life+spectrum+finicky+fish+food+125g

Mines ate all my zoas even my rainbow incinerators, but left all the green palys and everything else alone lol..... still my favorite fish though.
Mine loved the rainbow incinerators to it was the first one he started eating to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
I use to have a very nice collection of zoas but my goldflake quickly made an expensive meal out of them. The goldflake has since matured and left all my corals alone. I do have a young regal that I see nipping at all the SPS but Im hoping he will grow out of it as well. Was hoping to introduce a few zoas and see how they do.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
one of my favorite fish but when I had one it bee lined straight to any LPS I put in the tank. Wellsos, Acans, etc. As much as I love that fish I don't think I'd ever do it again

Mine does not nip zoas, clams or lps. It however does nip sps so during the day my sps have very little polyp extension. I've had mine over two years.

My Potters has only been in for about a month, but so far has ignited the Zoas that I have in my 240g. I'm going to add a couple of larger Angels sometime soon and am expecting that they will not be as well behaved.

IMG_4446.jpg
I had a regal in my 125 for around 3 months. Didn't touch anything for around 2 and a half months until it suddenly starting eating my zoas and acans. Weirdly only ate anything orange. Had to take it back to the LFS, couldn't see my colonies getting destroyed