SPS Addiction

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I searched and searched for a reef raft Canada jaw dropper frag and finally found one. It was a 1/4 inch nub and cost a king's ransom. I have had it now for a few months plus and it has encrusted almost a 1/2 mm but no vertical growth that I can perceive. Slow as molasses growth Well hopefully it both grows and colors up eventually. Keep in mind, this picture is a zoomed up shot of a 1/4 inch tall frag. Can you visualize all that mythical potential--actually so far all I see is a little green nub:girl_wink:

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident (IEMAS)
Supporter
My Tank Build
Looking good!! Save me a frag of the RR Canada Jaw Dropper when it grows out in a couple of years! I picked up a frag that looks exactly like your yellow eyed jaw dropper from RR USA when I was in LA last fall. Tony never told me the names of the frags he gave me but its the only frag I have ever gotten that has red w/ yellow tips and yellow polyps. Not a macro shot but they're yellow

Last edited:

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Looking good!! Save me a frag of the RR Canada Jaw Dropper when it grows out in a couple of years! I picked up a frag that looks exactly like your yellow eyed jaw dropper from RR USA when I was in LA last fall. Tony never told me the names of the frags he gave me but its the only frag I have ever gotten that has red w/ yellow tips and yellow polyps. Not a macro shot but they're yellow
Cylix, You have some amazing corals. And you are getting some great colors

A few pictures for a Tuesday morning

RR USA pink Floyd

RR Canada orange passion

Jason fox flame

Cool favia or favite, I can't tell me the difference

Another not sps

Purple monster

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Do you happen to have ultimates purple monster?
I am sorry, I don't even know that one. I was hoping to have the original purple monster and got mine from Copps who is back east. I actually lost my colony a year or two ago and was able to get a frag of my original back from a fellow Socalireefer.

Here is a picture of my baby purple monster (not ultimates version) from yesterday. The polyps are white

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I wanted to share a picture of my pink lemonade with MH/t5 vs t5/reefbrite. Pretty cool contrast but I will let you judge. I removed my angel fish and I am starting to get more and more polyp extension which I am pretty excited about. It is fascinating in that sometimes one lighting looks better than another, sometimes it is just a result of me and the camera and sometimes it is simply the coral. I am not a good enough photographer to get the same results day to day. Sometimes it seems even with identical lighting, camera and settings, the colors come out different. So I am not sure any conclusions can be drawn. Nonetheless, these two pictures were taken today. Enjoy

[MENTION=3886]watchguy123[/MENTION]
How often are you testing your parameters?

watchguy123

Featured Reef
[MENTION=3886]watchguy123[/MENTION]
How often are you testing your parameters?
Typically alkalinity 2-3 times a week via Hanna checker, nitrate 2 times per week either salifert or red sea pro ( I aim for around 5ppm so sometimes I'm above the red sea threshold of 4ppm and if so then I use salifert), phosphate 1 time per week via Hanna ULR Phosphorous. I just got back from 10 days of visiting family and all survived in the tank. Actually, two frags that I had just cemented on the rock work before I left were missing in action, RR Rainbow Blossom and RR Canada Lady in Pink. I found the former but not the latter. I have rambunctious fish and they crash into the sps on occasion. But no death per se. Having the RR Canada Lady in Pink lost in the tank somewhere is a hard loss, not easy to find and it was so darn costly.

Couple pictures of something almost no one recognizes anymore. It is an oldie, Tat's Psammacora. And yes this is a psammacora with pretty nice polyp extension for being in the middle of the day. Most guess it is a hydnophora but by all means it is not--two very different critters. Hydnophora are neither as pretty, nor as friendly. Hydronophora have nasty long stingers. Tat's psammacora is all green which also means it does not get much love from the hobby but I like it. It is extremely hardy and a pretty good grower. These are pictures of a very happy acro.