Reef Virgin

Hey guys. Brand new to the salt world. I've had planted tanks for a while. I got a steal on a small setup from a member on SCAPE. It's pretty bare right now but I figured I'd take it slow.

Advice, comments, critiques?

I personally recommend this :

Seachem MultiTest Marine Basic Test Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EUE8EY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2lxrzbRJV1H1E

I prefer this tank for nitrogen related inspection (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite).

Get everything in check via nitrogen, and after your tank is cycled, start focusing on alkalinity. This seachem test kit will get you into the ballpark.

And then once that is in range, bump up to the red sea foundation.

Red Sea Reef Foundation Test Kit - Calcium, Alkalinity & Magnesium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FUJ5NE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qoxrzbDJ28MSP

This will get you much closer to the ranges you need.

No one ever makes a good alkalinity test using visual reagents, so...

Once you have those dialed in, purchase a hanna alkalinity checker for $50.

This will be an expense spanning about 3 months, about $130 in all, but they are all very handy to get you to the point of dialed in water parameters.

Sent from my 1+3t

I was finally able to get this guy to stay in one spot. It's been kinda hard. It kept floating around and I even found it in my overflow at one point.

Anybody else experience anything like this before?

ivan

Featured Reef
I was finally able to get this guy to stay in one spot. It's been kinda hard. It kept floating around and I even found it in my overflow at one point.

Anybody else experience anything like this before?

Is this a new tank!!
How long it's been set up ?
Def a anemone is not a good starter coral some anemones are really sensitive to any changes on the quemestry of the water
Leave along it will stop moving ones it find a good spot if you keep forcing it to stay on a spot that you want that may create more stress to it !
Patient is the key for the hobby !:)

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
^
those are pods (type of amphipods) good for the tank and needed.

Once you start to get algae, make sure you get some clean up crew (different snails and not too many hermit crabs)
..also super glue gel is your best friend... to attach corals to rock or frag plug

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Overall well maintained reef. If you don't have fish (wrasse, manda rins, etc ) that eat them they will grow faster

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk