Tank Setup

ShaneTX

Needing some feedback? Overkill? Lol lighting Im playing with and wont use everything but have an itch to get bigger tank now (only a 55 I settled in since I love the peninsula style (black background is removable on my tank) and have options later down road ... but think I might want a nice 90 gallon now with all this equipment haha

ShaneTX

Also stuck on plumbing??? I wanna set up a manifold system (and why i purchased the L1 rather then M1 lol overkill still, maybe, idk?) but I can't decide if i should use the 1" 3 way union ball valves or standard 1" cepex ball valves branching off main return plumbing. Anyone have any expertise or experience on manifolds/plumbing they may share some tips or advice!?!

Will be using 1" and 3/4" silicone tubing i ordered to connect everything from manifold (and also had to hunt everywhere but have just about every type/size/reducing barb end fittings to connect pvc to silicone tubing and pumps to silicone tubing!.... also in process of re plumbing return nozzle with silicone tubing and 3/4" fittings rather then 1/2" (overflow fittings are 1")

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Go bigger more room for more corals and fish to swim. You will regret it later. Bigger pump is ok you can dial down . Also I like to keep my plumbing simple for ease of maintenance.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Only advice i have with manifolds - if you can fit a few extra "T"s and gates in for unforseen equipment do it now. Adding a gate after the manifold can be useful. Lets you add some back pressure and helps get water traveling where you want it.

ShaneTX

Been hunting for the bit bigger, nice, good condition tank! .... just a shout out to anyone getting rid of a 90 gallon, hit me up!

And yea the plumbing I wanted to be sure I planned way ahead for any equipment additions, or maintenance/ cleaning!
I was planning the T fitting to be off the main plumbing coming from return pump. Wouldnt a gate valve after manifold T fitting block pressure of return to tank? Im Not very familiar with gate valves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Yes the gate would give you the option to restrict flow to the DT to add slight back pressure to your manifold. You've oversized your return so you can afford to do that. I found with a little added back pressure on the manifold I got consistent flow to the equipment it was feeding. You could always turn your L1 up to get that back pressure but then you loose control of your turn-over rate. Without a slight pressure everytime you adjust the flow to one piece of equipment off the manifold you'll most likely end up needing to adjust another if not all.

PVC Gate valves (have a handle like your old school hose spigot) give you way more control than a standard ball valve. They cost more but are well worth it. On my 100g I had them on everything i feed from the manifold. Work in unions, or buy gate/ball valves with them built in. If you need to tear something down it'll save your ***. I bought my current system used and stuck with the manifold it came with and regret it. All ball valves and some are getting stuck with no unions to disassemble. So i gotta replace all or nothing now.

ShaneTX

Yes the gate would give you the option to restrict flow to the DT to add slight back pressure to your manifold. You've oversized your return so you can afford to do that. I found with a little added back pressure on the manifold I got consistent flow to the equipment it was feeding. You could always turn your L1 up to get that back pressure but then you loose control of your turn-over rate. Without a slight pressure everytime you adjust the flow to one piece of equipment off the manifold you'll most likely end up needing to adjust another if not all.

PVC Gate valves (have a handle like your old school hose spigot) give you way more control than a standard ball valve. They cost more but are well worth it. On my 100g I had them on everything i feed from the manifold. Work in unions, or buy gate/ball valves with them built in. If you need to tear something down it'll save your ***. I bought my current system used and stuck with the manifold it came with and regret it. All ball valves and some are getting stuck with no unions to disassemble. So i gotta replace all or nothing now.
Thanks so much for that tip and makes total sense for more precise/fine adjustments compared to ball valves when wanting just a bit more pressure elsewhere! Plus your totally right and it Would be drag to adjust each ball valve on manifold to add pressure to equipment! I have not had chance to play around with vectra controls (of course had to get reeflink since I impulse bought vectra and found out Not apex compatiblelol) so not sure what flow/pressure adjustments might be available once I get it all running!

Definitely gonna play around with some ideas and gonna getting gate valve or two! Might post a pic of planed idea if I get a chance before cutting the pvc lol! ..... any thoughts on check valve placement? (Was going to place one one where return pluming goes into overflow chamber bulkhead on bottom of tank) but have seen some set ups with them right on return pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaneTX

P.S. Anyone know how get access or who i need to get in touch with for posting in the Marketplace?

I have some extra equipment id like to get off my hands :) but can't post anything :(

ShaneTX

P.S. Anyone know how get access or who i need to get in touch with for posting in the Marketplace?

I have some extra equipment id like to get off my hands :) but can't post anything :(
Never mind, Problem solved, and I have access to post now!! :D

Latest posts