Help! Is this ok?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Wow All your hard work paid off, that is one happy critter! Nicely done. Tank is looking good too.

Have a couple... What would you like to know? There might be others here with more knowledge than me, but mine have been doing well.
Well, I was wondering if it was bleaching for starters. However I've set my lights and they have been consistent for probably 3 weeks now. I feel it's improving little by little. Or at least not worsening. At the time I was worried, it's mouths weren't as prominent. It didn't look as rugged. That has recently changed with my cal getting where it needs to be, and I've been supplementing a little mag since my level was 1200!! I've also switched over to reef crystals to help cal and mag. I believe my boxcrab scratched a little spot in the skin and, it's mending back together luckily. I feel that's a good sign. My coraline is also spreading a lil with cal lvl.
Questions,
Check it out, how do you think color is? If off, would you say more light or less?
Where do you keep mag?
Does temp play a part in lps?
I have a bottle of trace elements for feeding. Not sure how often I should use (bottle may say but I'm lazy at the moment)
It's polyps, I haven't seen since I brought him home. At night of course. I actually saw some during the day then. Now since it doesn't stick them out, I haven't felt it was necessary to try and feed brine/mysis. It's been 6wks or so since I tried to spot feed. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Pic looks worse but u get the point. Actually looks like **** :/ pic might not help

It looks lighter in color in pic...I've been trying to pay attention to the edges, where the new growth is, for it to be smoother looking. Right?

Okay, gonna try to answer in the order you asked...
No, I think the color is probably fine, but, not quite sure what it's supposed to look like. I know that potassium plays a big part in purples, blues and pinks. More on that later.
My Mag hovers around 1400, but I need to test again. I dose ESB B-Ionic Mag via doser.
Yes, temp plays a part. I also run a chiller, and keep my tank right about 80. When it was cooler, I didn't have the growth I do now. Too high can cause bleaching or worse
As far as trace elements, I supplement my dosing regimen with Acropower and Reef Pure balanced Ion Potassium. I only add those a couple times a week at most. The way I do it is add both the AP and RP in a specimen cup and top it off with some Reef Pure Ultimate Snow. This works well as the Snow is used as a transport mechanism for the AP and RP Potassium, allowing the corals better uptake of the trace elements/Aminos.
Now be careful.. I found out the hard way overdosing is worse than under. I ended up with Cyano. I eyeball my amounts close to the manufacturer dosages. But... As mentioned above only a couple times a week tops.
I have never tried to spot feed for two reasons. One, I am lazy and... I don't really think it's necessary in my case. I have a heavy bio load in my tank, and my 9 tangs (yes 9) poop a LOT... I have attached a couple of crappy photos for your perusal IMG_20150903_200031.jpg [
IMG_20150903_200056.jpg

Sorry for the blue hue, but my lights are run by my APEX and the Halides are currently off.
Both of those, the Month Cap and the Chalice started life about 1"+ frags almost exactlly a year ago, and are now more or less 6" and 10" respectively using the aforementioned routine...

Hope this helps, and always, keep the questions coming...

Attachments

Just looking at my last post again.. The Monti is actually less than a year, and... I had a bleaching/burning prob about 6-7 months ago. I was trying Red Sea Coral Pro salt, and had an ALK reading of over 12... Monti **** dear died.. Back to Reef Crystals and problem solved. This isn't a knock on Red Sea, but... The Alk DOES run real high out of the bag, and I was also dosing. Partly my fault.

Ahhh wonderful! That monti looks awesome!! Love them. Haven't ventured that far yet.
My chalice, I hope his mouths turn a different color like they normally do but, as of now I think it's supposed to be purple. And I don't have fancy shmancy lights yet ;)
Potassium?! Great. something else I have to look into ;/ hehe
I did hear mag plays a big part In chalice's as well. My lvl isn't where it needs to be just yet. I need to test again. Since I switched salt, I wanted to try and see how much of an effect that had on lvl first. I've been trying out Kent marine tech m mag, since I had access to it with discount at lfs. I do not think I'm a fan. I have to test tho as well. And the f'ing bottle is gone already so I need somethin else.
Thanks for your dosing regimen, that's my next step. I need to learn how/what works together so I can get started. Baby steps ;)
Temp, luckily I'm not reaching high Temps with my equipment yet. I've had mine set at 80, then 79 once it was creeping near 81 but just recently set it at 78. 78 because I found my wc would bring it down from like 80 to 77 or so. I figure setting it for 78 will keep me a little bit more stable. (I'm not always able to heat my wc so much. Getting there)
I've read cooler Temps help with my nem zooanth. Hopefully 78 will do ok for chalice. You said cooler Temps slow chalice growth. You think 78 to low? Nem is doin better :/
Salt, I just found an awsome table that shows different salts and the amount of elements it contains and lvls it stabilizes. Crazy stuff! If I can get it, I'll put it on here.

My friend just had a huge scare wit alk, he has alot of monti and thought they were goners. he may have lost 1 but for the most part, I believe he's bringing them back. It put him in a depression for like 2 weeks :( rough. His tank's beautiful. No lps to help me tho.

Thank you. Let me dig in and I'll probably need help in the near future ;)

Btw do you think I should start a new thread instead of filling this "nem and clownfish" thread with alllll my probs haha
This is my first thread. Other groups, I've seen people get pissed for going off topic...?

TANGS! Can't forget about them. 9?! What size tank? what different species? I just got my first tang ;) idk if I mentioned her yet. I picked up a lavender tang. Love her!!!

I have 5 yellows, a purple, Naso, Tommini, and a Kole. All of those are in the 240 with the SPS. In the little LPS tank, I have another purple and a blue.
Didn't start off as a Tang hoarder, but it kinda worked out that way. The Kole was the 1st Tang, and he was a total D!CK! they are usually mellow, but this one killed a Foxface, Manderin, and chased everything I added. I decided to really mess with his head, so I added the 5 yellows all at once. He didn't know who to chase 1st. Since then, he's been a model citizen. All the rest followed along. Part of the fun (and frustration) of this hobby is the different personalities of all the fish.

Ahhh awsome. I like the look of that tomini. Don't know much of it yet. We've got some koles at the store. Haven't seemed to be bad. Actually 1 has been around awhile in good health I was gunna look into him. I can't believe it got to your fishys! ;( that's the prob I'm starting to have with my 6line. He'd flip a sh!t with a school of tangs hehe. Thinks he owns the whole dang tank. So I got miss lavender. Figured that would probably be a good started tang for me. So far nothings messing with her and my 6line actually is out more so, win win. Gotta find that balance! At the store, the yellows have been little sh!theads. Love the nasu. I'm also keeping my eye out for a good healthy powder blue. Looks like tangs are really the best choice for reef compared to the angels and or butterflies.
We have a harlequin tusk at the shop. It'd be sweet but I read that one's tough.
Fun stuff. I'm just happy to get fish finally

Tank is officially a year old. It's been almost a year since I was questioning my condy. Since I have learned so much in this thread I'd like to post a current pic for my records and, since this is a clown and nem thread, i thought I'd ask you guys if you knew what was going on with my clowns fins. When I purchased the clowns they were so small I couldn't notice anything wrong with the fins but, now that they are a lil bigger it looks like my orange ocellaris doesn't have normal dorsal fin or spines and recently, I've notice my black ocellaris dorsal spines have been disturbed by somethin.
My questions are, is it normal for the dorsal to be non existent when their young? and I no that whichever of the 2 is more dominant will become the male. During their sexing does the more dominant pick at the others dorsal to show dominance? I'm gunna try my best to get good pics... I dont assume they have a major problem but just curious as to why the orange ocellaris doesn't have a good looking dorsal. My 6 line was picking on them at first but I haven't seen him mess with them for quite awhile now....
Thanks guys

Couldn't get a good pic of black clowns fin but it'll be fine I'm sure.
in the pic you can see how there is a lil indent instead of the dorsal potruding out of the clown. Is this normal?

My tank today! Much better than before!
Now that im thinking about it, I did have a lot of river rock in the tank at the beginning. After I got it out, I left 2 pieces cuz they were flat. Coraline is now growing on them. I thought that was interesting. The concern was the phosphate leaching out of them. If it gets completely covered in coraline, will that seal it in? Would coraline be growing on it if there was a phosphate issue?