How hard is it to make a canopy or should I just have someone else build it for me?

GoBigGuy

Hi All,

I need a canopy for my 180 but needs to be a tall canopy, (72" long, 24" wide, 25" tall). I'm handy around the house and have a bunch of tools but I am far from a finish carpenter.

Do you think this is something I can build? if so can you send me some links on some good plans?

If not who can I reach out to build it for me?

Thanks!

I woudnt say it's difficult at all. That being said you just have to be very on target with measurements and stuff so it fits and all but pretty simple in terms of design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you have the right tools and know your way around wood you wont have a problem, but if this is going to be in the middle of the house where everyone will see it i would have someone do it for you. there are a few ppl here who are really good with wood.

GoBigGuy

I've been looking around on YouTube and it does seem pretty easy to do. The one part I'm having a hard time figuring out is I have glass lids so I wouldn't be able to do the inside pieces of wood for height so thinking doing it on top of the top/bottom frames with some braces to give it strength

GoBigGuy

if you have the right tools and know your way around wood you wont have a problem, but if this is going to be in the middle of the house where everyone will see it i would have someone do it for you. there are a few ppl here who are really good with wood.
Any of you wood workers around please speak up :)

I am thinking I can do most of it myself with some guide from some of you pros and then maybe get someone it to do the finish trim

it's very simple... the only hard thing i can see in this project is the actual height.. you're going to need to buy sheets of plywood, or pine or whatever you want to make out of it... instead of a plank... then the weight of it all... since it's tall, you're going to need reinforcements... then access... i like using piano hinges for my canopies... but i think you should just make the front panel removable or hinged... so you can get all up in there...

if you want it to be fancy, just throw some crown molding on the top... very simple... i like minimalist style canopies and stands... so i do sharp corners.. but even if you just smooth some of the corners, it will give it a good stylish look... something simple and sleek is just as nice to look at as fancy and detailed... just make sure you stain it the same color as your stand and you're good...

keep us updated...

GoBigGuy

So here are some rough designs I did up.

The frame is made from 1"x2" pine that will get sealed and painted white. The front risers are sitting between the top and bottom frames and the back risers are the same with the addition of another support on the inside of the frames.

frame.jpg

The skinning is just paintalbe particle board, sides done with 3/8" and the front door is 3/4" with 1 1/2"x1/2" molding around it

skinned.jpg

I'll most likely have a top on it with some vents cut in and some crown molding around the top to match other things I have in the livingroom

Thoughts?

GoBigGuy

it's very simple... the only hard thing i can see in this project is the actual height.. you're going to need to buy sheets of plywood, or pine or whatever you want to make out of it... instead of a plank... then the weight of it all... since it's tall, you're going to need reinforcements... then access... i like using piano hinges for my canopies... but i think you should just make the front panel removable or hinged... so you can get all up in there...

if you want it to be fancy, just throw some crown molding on the top... very simple... i like minimalist style canopies and stands... so i do sharp corners.. but even if you just smooth some of the corners, it will give it a good stylish look... something simple and sleek is just as nice to look at as fancy and detailed... just make sure you stain it the same color as your stand and you're good...

keep us updated...
What do you think of my plans above?

honestly, looks flimsy... you're going to need a lot more reinforcements if you're going to use a frame with a thin sheet for the skin... also, remember that you need a lip to sit onto the tank rim... i would do a bunch of small pieces of wood instead of a long piece of wood... it might be warped... the first time i built mine, i used a piece of wood but turned out to be warped... LOL, then it warped moar... sucks... so i like putting like small tabs instead...

remember you're trying to build a piece of furniture, not a wooden box... that should be your thought process... use good wood, use good techniques, and seal everything...

zigginit

do not use particle board anywhere on a tank or stand. that stuff only lasts a year or 2 under moist conditions. my buddies tank stand is made from it and let just say his tank leans forward now.

use solid plywood. oak is what I used. its like 50 bucks sheet

GoBigGuy

honestly, looks flimsy... you're going to need a lot more reinforcements if you're going to use a frame with a thin sheet for the skin... also, remember that you need a lip to sit onto the tank rim... i would do a bunch of small pieces of wood instead of a long piece of wood... it might be warped... the first time i built mine, i used a piece of wood but turned out to be warped... LOL, then it warped moar... sucks... so i like putting like small tabs instead...

remember you're trying to build a piece of furniture, not a wooden box... that should be your thought process... use good wood, use good techniques, and seal everything...
Now if I changed the sided to 1/2 or 3/4 would that make a difference?

GoBigGuy

do not use particle board anywhere on a tank or stand. that stuff only lasts a year or 2 under moist conditions. my buddies tank stand is made from it and let just say his tank leans forward now.

use solid plywood. oak is what I used. its like 50 bucks sheet
Did you use 3/4" plywood with the metal brackets?

I need to make this tall to cover my light box so need all the ideas/help possible

IMG_1705.jpg

zigginit

Did you use 3/4" plywood with the metal brackets?

I need to make this tall to cover my light box so need all the ideas/help possible

View attachment 40433
yeah its 3/4 inch oak ply. you will want to get finishing ply since its flatter and will look better on furniture. they sell good ply and ply meant for building things you wont see like roofs and what not.

if I was you I would just build you canopy to your liking and then mount your lights to the top of the canopy instead of the wall. then your wall will be clear again and lights in the canopy.

Dgelz

Premium Member
Supporter
Where are all the carpenters? I've got a project, too. Got money, no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts