Sca 302/atman ph2000 replacement /upgrade

Has anyone successfully replaced the atman ph2000 pump in a sca302 skimmer with a better, more reliable, and different brand?

For months i have asked this question, as it became a 6 month, then 3 month, and now a monthly chore of completely servicing this pump, and finally, two of its critical pieces, the inside rubber fairring/gasket vanished, and the white plastic pinion snapped.

It is just not producing enough air, now to get skimmate into the overflow chamber, period, and my DT is reaching critical mass.

The body of the sca302 seems to be fine, and i would like to replace it with another brand of pump, but it is difficult to see what additional modifications might be necessary in order to upgrade to something more reliable like a sicce or an eheim.

I could choose another atman ph2000, but i feel like i will just g down this same path another year from now, and i would prefer to avoid that problem entirely.

Please, just answers from people with experience on this. I'm not even certain that the impeller is the ultimate culprit, as the stalls might be related to a broken current in the housing of the pump.

Thanks in advance.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Internala are difficult to replace, because of the very specific space and footprint. I would honestly get same pump, if pump sucks, sell skimmer and buy a different used. Something with a more reliable pump

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I agree with Jose. Might be time for a different skimmer. Even upgrading the current skimmer pump might still create a different slew of problems.

So, my system was doing okay with my astrerinas sucking up undesireables while my protein skimmer is taking a ****, but my sister got the bright idea to wipe down the glass today, causing everything to go back into the system and pissing off everything sps with a shock.

I got home late, and the only place open was petsmart with the instant ocean SeaClone 100. Not at all what I would have prefered, as the Hydot koralia was out of stock, so I had to get something.

Thankfully, the online price was almost 50% off instore listed price, and they matched it, so it only cost me about 70 bucks.

It might make a decent backup/instant quarantine tank quite handily, so I might just keep it,but it was a groan spending this when I truly did not want to.

Regardless, it is a venturi with a maxijet 1200,and actually looks pretty impressive, hanging from the back of the tank, and is not any louder than a remora.

Hopefully, this does the trick, and helps get me out of this bind I am in while I get a replacement pump, and eventually a new skimmer.

So, my system was doing okay with my astrerinas sucking up undesireables while my protein skimmer is taking a ****, but my sister got the bright idea to wipe down the glass today, causing everything to go back into the system and pissing off everything sps with a shock.

I got home late, and the only place open was petsmart with the instant ocean SeaClone 100. Not at all what I would have prefered, as the Hydot koralia was out of stock, so I had to get something.

Thankfully, the online price was almost 50% off instore listed price, and they matched it, so it only cost me about 70 bucks.

It might make a decent backup/instant quarantine tank quite handily, so I might just keep it,but it was a groan spending this when I truly did not want to.

Regardless, it is a venturi with a maxijet 1200,and actually looks pretty impressive, hanging from the back of the tank, and is not any louder than a remora.

Hopefully, this does the trick, and helps get me out of this bind I am in while I get a replacement pump, and eventually a new skimmer.