New 13 gallon Nano tank

Iansdad

Just got my son a new Fluval 13 gallon nano. Should I use live rock from my tank to get his started? Or should I buy new live rock at a LFS? Got a thermometer, a power head and a skimmer. How long should I let the tank cycle? How should I cycle the tank, with a fish or just by the fish food process? Thanks

Iansdad

Thanks [MENTION=7562]joseserrano[/MENTION]. Any other info would be nice. Im new to this Nano stuff. I have a 65 gallon saltwater tank but its so much easier

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
I have a 5 Gallon Pico in my office. I used new Live Sand (never use your old from your established tank) I used a couple of live rocks i had in my Established 120 Reef sump and used them to help kick of my cycle in my Pico Tank. I also added a couple new Reef Rock as well. My tank Cycled in about a week being so small and the live rock really helped. I added a Small 1 Gallon Refugium on the back with Cheato as well as more live rock from my sump. You can see the difference in colors of my Live rock. One thing you dont want to do is Rush its all about being Patient. Check your Parameters every couple days to see the swings. Since you already have an established tank im sure you know what to look for.

Hope this helps some..

IMG_7712.jpg

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Great advice and loving the tank so far. Please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iansdad

Thanks for the advise JohnsReefIn714. The tank looks great. I added a Damsel and now we have 2 clownfish, a cleaner shrimp and a coral I fragged from my tank and a new coral. 3E29D70E-A2C7-444E-BA87-C1A2B4D635DD.jpg

Thanks [MENTION=7562]joseserrano[/MENTION]. Any other info would be nice. Im new to this Nano stuff. I have a 65 gallon saltwater tank but its so much easier
You'll need to test ammonia N02 and N03 to officially know if your tank has cycled. Yes, you can add fish food. My new system I dosed Ammonium Chloride from Dr. Tims. Fishless cycle.

But yes I would use live rock from your system assuming its clean.

**Didn't realize this was a month old. My apologies. Tank looks nice.

Latest posts