The Mac is back

My Tank Build
At DIY, yep at DIY. This is a story I'm going to have to start in the middle and then go from the beginning.
So I DIYed my own wavebox (ok what's the middle so on to the beginning).
When I had my other tank I had a tunze wavebox on it and loved the way my corals and nems reacted with the wavebox. On the down side I couldn't program a start and stop time on the tunze with my ecotech radions like I could with my vortechs. I love how I can setup a night mode with my vortechs through the ecotech computer software.
Well about 7 months ago I got the idea of making a slim acrylic box that the wetside of my vortech could fit in and the motor side could still stay on the outside of the tank.
Today was the last day of my vacation and I haven't did one thing on my build, so I got my lazy butt up and went to S&W plastics in San berdo. I picked up 3 little peaces of acrylic, 1 black that is 1/4" thick, 1 clear that was also 1/4" thick, and 1 clear that was 1/8" thick.
The black peace I cut in to 2 peace one was 11" by 18" for the front of the box the othe I cut 11" by 3" for the lid. Then I cut the other 1/4" peace into strips 2 at 2 3/4" by 17 3/4" and one at 2 3/4" by 11". These 3 peaces are for the sides and bottom. The 1/8 I cut 11" by 18" and this is for the back. I wanted the back to be as thin as I could get it so I wasn't adding to much thickness in-between the wet and dry side of the vortech. I then weld-on 16 them all together to make a box. After that I cut a hole for the water to flow through. I didn't take much pics cus my Hal's were dirty but I got this

This is the inside of the box

I know crappy pics.

But I got a vid of this wavebox in action

I present the "EcoBox" (yep I'm trademarking that beeochees)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9bqgnZkVDM

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident (IEMAS)
Supporter
My Tank Build
this was the box you were telling me about at jamies house, its working awesome!!!

Lol... Glad to see you're finally getting off your lazy butt & getting something accomplished on your build. It's been a while...Dang! ;)

jbaeza83

Premium Member
Supporter
That is awesome!! Are you going to the IEMAS meeting this coming month?? I want to ask you some questions about this, I might want to build one for my build that I am working on.

My Tank Build
This might be a stupid question...I've never used a wavebox....but what is the purpose of it??
The purpose of a wavebox is to displace the water in the tank to get a rocking effect. The water going up and down in the box causes the water in the tank to get displaced so that the tank water goes back and forward. To me it make the live stock look and act natural. Nems look sick as hell in a tank with a wavebox. Also I help to eliminate dead zones in the tank.

My Tank Build
That is awesome!! Are you going to the IEMAS meeting this coming month?? I want to ask you some questions about this, I might want to build one for my build that I am working on.
I could make u one for about $50 if u have the vortech. This one was a little over $30 just in acrylic. Plus I have all the tools and weld-on already. I can make it any size u need

Looks great eric. Nice motion
Thanks, I can get it to splash out of the tank, but sense I don't have any plumbing glued in place I didn't want a lot of water in the overflow box.

jbaeza83

Premium Member
Supporter
I could make u one for about $50 if u have the vortech. This one was a little over $30 just in acrylic. Plus I have all the tools and weld-on already. I can make it any size u need
Cool, ill talk to you more about this at the meeting. I would still have to find a mp40 though so it might be the same as buying a used tunze wavebox.

My Tank Build
Well EcoBox has been running for 24 hours now with no problems.
I am a little concerned that my return pump will over power the way tho but will have to wait and see what happens when I get me setup up and running.

My Tank Build
I just setup my tank last week and the box is only been running on the tank for the last 3 days with no problems.

My Tank Build
Would you make me two Eric? I want to try these with my mp60s
I say, try one for now. But I can do it Jamie. I have to work out of town till Wednesday. I could get started on Thursday. How thick is ur side pains of glass? I'll check ecotechs dims.

Latest posts