Johnwin84 Leemar 120 upgrade

johnwin84

Premium Member
Supporter
I need some help..it has been a while since I set up a tank.so I have a few question.

Can I just transfer my current tank 65 gallon into my 120?
Can I add dry rock?
Will adding 70 gallons cause a spike?
What should I test for?
Should I use all new sand?

Test for ammonia and nitrite. If ur adding sps test for p04 or have a buddy watch your sps for s few weeks

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident (IEMAS)
Supporter
My Tank Build
My coral and fish were ok for about 2 weeks in the gray bin. Maybe just do something like that as a temporary tank until the new tank is really settled in? Don't rush the install/setup.

I used 20% of the old sand and rinsed really really well along with new sand and cured live rock, I had no cycle or algae outbreak. Just crazy alk swings until my carx got dialed back in.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I would transfer everything and cure the dry rock separately in its own bin. You can always add it later. I would go with new sand or at least rinse the old sand really well.

johnwin84

Premium Member
Supporter
Now you have me thinking..I may just do it right and have a custom stand built.but first I need to plan out equipment and a budget.

New sand, use live rock, new bulkhead on the drain.

What skimmer are u gunna use?

Also let me now if u need help moving the tank. I know Jamie was supposed to help u. I have a truck, might be easier than the explorer.

Sent from my iPhone

I transferred all my coral from my 90 to my 180. I used all the water from my 90, and mixed new water for the rest. I had a few SPS at the time, and none of them died. But not all SPS are the same...

Sent from my iPhone

johnwin84

Premium Member
Supporter
New sand, use live rock, new bulkhead on the drain.

What skimmer are u gunna use?

Also let me now if u need help moving the tank. I know Jamie was supposed to help u. I have a truck, might be easier than the explorer.

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks for your offer. Jamie is going to borrow his dad truck. If that doesn't work ill let you know. I'm going to use the skimmer I have now. It an older grey sea aquatic skimmer with a sicce pump.

Change all bulkheads
Rinse the sand very well
Start curing rock now, don't push the install set it back a few weeks
Adding water won't add a spike, but the new rock/sand might

When I went from my 55 to my 120 it took me all weekend, I kept my coral and fish in rubbermaid bins with heaters, pumps but no lights. The corals will be fine with no light for a few days. Just don't rush it or get in a hurry, get it done right how you want it the first time. After RAP the club frag tank will be pretty empty so if you need me to hold anything let me know.

You'll need to test every day to check your parameters.

if you need me to bring you rubbermaid bins to cure rock when I bring the tank let me know. I'll stop by Home Depot and get some trashcans.

smalltime

Great tank John! I just transfered my tank. 100% new sand. 1/2 of rock added was dried out and all sps made it. 2 caps took the worst of it but everything is in recovery mode now. I added zeobak to seed new tank and dosed vinegar

Latest posts