DIY How to make a Durso standpipe for overflows

Are you annoyed by the loud overflow noise? The annoying gurgling sound of you drain? Then adding a Durso standpipe is your solution. If your overflow can not fit a Durso then a Hoffman Gurgle Buster is your next best alternative.

Everything that you need to make the Durso can be found at your local Home Depot or Lowes.

If you have a 1 inch drain you want to make sure all of the PVC plumbing that you buy is 1.5 inch and at the bottom their will be a reducer to reduce it to fit into the 1 inch drain.

What's needed:
PVC pipe
Reducer that reduces pvc to your drain size
90 degree pvc elbow
pvc cap (This is where you will drill the hole for the air line tubing to be inserted)

Instead of an adjustable air valve as shown in the 3rd picture, I prefer using about 6 inches of air line tubing. You can adjust the level of water in the overflow box by pushing the air line tubing further inwards or pulling it outwards.

are you gonna do a write up for the Hoffman Gurgle Buster?

My OF doesn't frekken fit a durso
Sure ill also make a DIY for a hoffman gurgle buster.

You can make a compact version of a durso by trimming off 1/2 inch off the 90 degree elbow and also 1/2 inch off of what the 90 attachs too. Exactly like the 3rd picture posted.

How tall should it be. Is there a certain distance under the overflow teeth that the elbow needs to be. This is just for noise? Would I still need ball valve to control water draining to sump? I need one for a 4x2x2.

The higher you can get to just about 1” to 3” below the over flow. If you go lower it will get noisier the lower you go. I have 2 1 ½" drains and for my 300 gal. It really makes it quieter.

How tall should it be. Is there a certain distance under the overflow teeth that the elbow needs to be. This is just for noise? Would I still need ball valve to control water draining to sump? I need one for a 4x2x2.
I personally would never put a ball valve on my drain(except in the case of wanting to fully turn it off, and not for regulation). This could lead to possible overflow issues. Only add ball valve to the return, and reduce the flow that way.

As far as durso vs. stockman, Stockman is my choice everytime. Smaller, quieter, easier to adjust. IMO.

-Mike:beer:

Last edited:
Ugh...water noises.

For the durso, I understand that the drain in the overflow box will be quiet. But will the drain into the sump also be quiet?

I need something that's quiet on both ends, but i don't have the space for a herbie design.

Latest posts