Water changes for SPS Dominated tanks

I think he is using Tropic Marine Pro salt. LOL
in an SPS tank you should always check the new Saltwater's parameters for you transfer it into your tank. everything should match or be very close. If you deviate too much you will crash your tank.. ASK OCReefMaster. I warned him, he didn't listen. Now he knows. (NOT BASHING YOU BRO) But the name Reef Master is misleading. lol
In most part it is large sudden swings in parameters that cause a crash. I do water changes every 3 months, i feed heavy, skim heavy, and use Bio Pellet and carbon. my tank is 98% SPS. I used to dose Vodka but hated having to keep re-adjusting the dosing amounts on the dosing unit, thats why i switched to Bio pellets.

in an SPS tank you should always check the new Saltwater's parameters for you transfer it into your tank. everything should match or be very close. If you deviate too much you will crash your tank.. ASK OCReefMaster. I warned him, he didn't listen. Now he knows. (NOT BASHING YOU BRO) But the name Reef Master is misleading. lol
In most part it is large sudden swings in parameters that cause a crash. I do water changes every 3 months, i feed heavy, skim heavy, and use Bio Pellet and carbon. my tank is 98% SPS. I used to dose Vodka but hated having to keep re-adjusting the dosing amounts on the dosing unit, thats why i switched to Bio pellets.
LOL, actually you didn't tell me anything about my tank. My tank crashed because I disturbed the sand bed (by actually taking the sand out of my display) and actually RUKIS and CHAD from Coral Gazers told me not take the sand out, or disturb it... I did it anyways and payed the price. I released all the toxins in my tank very rapidly and that is what crashed it. It had nothing to do with a water change, or matching salt levels. Furthermore...what does that have to do with SPS? At the time my tank crashed I had NO SPS colonies. I had 18 chalice colonies mostly Tyree LE colonies 3 survived.

Everyone in this hobby makes mistakes and even "professionals" tanks crash as displays are not the actual ocean. This hobby has a very steep learning curve and unfortunately it takes lots of money to learn from your mistakes in this hobby. As for my screen name, you would probably change your mind if you saw my display. Ask some of the few who have seen it.

Actually I have been using premix oceanic from CG for over a year now. It's cheap and works great.

i hardly change my water....but then again i dose vodka...I am 98 percent sps
For 2 years I have not done water change with no issues
On SPS dominant tank But why I start having ick issues I start having too much water changes to get rid of ick or medication for ick ( herbtana )
I did not notice any difference on my tank as far as algae growth or nitrate spike.

DETANE

GOD is good all the time.
Having a Good friend like Rukis with mad coral hookups and coral selection can make any tank look amazing. But, it doesn't, make a person a MASTER. Because a person who Masted something, means, they no longer make mistakes, hence the term MASTER. Ask Gumbii he's an englo-ish teacher or something.

I didn't mean to hurt your feeling bro. My bad. Happy Reefing.
Like I said, I wasn't bashing you, but I do recall from another thread you were asking about water changes and how your tank crashed.

LOL, actually you didn't tell me anything about my tank. My tank crashed because I disturbed the sand bed (by actually taking the sand out of my display) and actually RUKIS and CHAD from Coral Gazers told me not take the sand out, or disturb it... I did it anyways and payed the price. I released all the toxins in my tank very rapidly and that is what crashed it. It had nothing to do with a water change, or matching salt levels. Furthermore...what does that have to do with SPS? At the time my tank crashed I had NO SPS colonies. I had 18 chalice colonies mostly Tyree LE colonies 3 survived.

Everyone in this hobby makes mistakes and even "professionals" tanks crash as displays are not the actual ocean. This hobby has a very steep learning curve and unfortunately it takes lots of money to learn from your mistakes in this hobby. As for my screen name, you would probably change your mind if you saw my display. Ask some of the few who have seen it.

Having a Good friend like Rukis with mad coral hookups and coral selection can make any tank look amazing. But, it doesn't, make a person a MASTER. Because a person who Masted something, means, they no longer make mistakes, hence the term MASTER. Ask Gumbii he's an englo-ish teacher or something.

I didn't mean to hurt your feeling bro. My bad. Happy Reefing.
Like I said, I wasn't bashing you, but I do recall from another thread you were asking about water changes and how your tank crashed.
:conf44: :conf44: :conf44: :conf44: :conf44: :conf44: :conf44:

It's not about filling your tank with expensive corals...anyone can do that. It's about keeping them alive and health, I have accomplished that. I have had my system for almost a year....no mistakes. All my corals are happy and growing out of control. I couldn't ask for anything more...well except for the purple urkle to grow faster, but i'll take what I can get. OC

For 2 years I have not done water change with no issues
On SPS dominant tank But why I start having ick issues I start having too much water changes to get rid of ick or medication for ick ( herbtana )
I did not notice any difference on my tank as far as algae growth or nitrate spike.
lol I haven't done a water change in 2 months and I feel like I'm neglecting the tank too much. But I agree I don't notice a difference either. 2 years is crazy though! I wonder how long I can go without a water change lol

SoCalDude

I do a WC every 2 or 3 weeks on my 20g SPS. I do dose 2ml of b-ionic 2 part every day though to keep levels in check, as well as vodka so...

jessesoto33

Supporter
It depend which corals do you keep in your tank. For LPS (love dirty water) you might do biweekly or monthly water change but I keep mostly 97% SPS, so I do 25g water change weekly for 225g tank. It's around 10% weekly water change (I do not trust Tropic Marine Pro any more).
I agree 10% weekly water changes. I make sure the salinity, PH, and temp. are excact before I add! By doing this you wont have to add trace elements, which are very important for color! and keeps everything stable!

SteezySPS

I use to do 20% weekly water changes and my acros absolutely loved it but it was costing too much and i got hooked on chalices and went to 10%. Not the same vibrancy I had before so I upgraded my skimmer and its back on track now.

on 200gal total system about 35gal a week +/- 5 gal
sps lps chalice zoa paly anemone softie
i try to let new water sit in bin for at least 5 to 7 days before i do water change
i use a heater , 2 koralias to mix and small airstone inside bin

I do 30g every 2 weeks on my 180 SPS...

the "waste" water goes to my 120g FOWLR as the new water.

If you look back at the featured tanks on this forum, the SPS dominated ones did water changes every 1-2 weeks. Except for one who didnt do one since 2007, and he admitted his corals looked better after he changed the water recently.

On reef central I cannot remember an SPS tank of the month that did not do large weekly/bi weekly water changes. Some did 100% changes every 6 months on top of that.

I used to suspect RC was getting bribed by salt manufacturers to get people to do more water changes. But even the latest issues of "Coral" and "Advanced Aquarist" have "experts" that say nutrients in "ultralow nutrient" SPS aquariums are hundreds of times higher than on natural reefs.

Davelink

since ive started doing my water changes twice a week, i dont even have to dose anything anymore. i just bought the BRS alk/calc/mag doseing kit before i started doing this and now its all just sitting on my shelves collecting dust. my tank is stocked to the brim too. if you havent done water changes this often, id give it a try and see if your tank responds well. theres no way it cant IMO

I do a WC every 2-3 weeks. TMP buffered to high levels 450cal, 1300mag, 9alk. Temp matched, don't check ph but I did once it was dang close.

My corals don't get all slimy so I know they like the salt.

I mix it 2 days in advance and add a really strong power head.

My nitrates stay 0-2 phosphate has been 0-.004 stable even though I have fed extremely heavy for the past 4 weeks to battle ich.

So I know if I fed normal I would have 0's.

I change out 54 gallons on a 225gallon tank. Every 2-3 weeks.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
We all strive for 0 phosphate in our water. There are many methods to keep the level down to a minimum. Phosban reactors, cheatos, skimmer etc are all options. My question is, would it be okay to do a 25% water change twice a week or even a 50% once a week to help maintain a low level. Would it affect the stability of the tank with a freq large water change?
Do you currently have problems with PO4?

I've been struggling with high nitrates in my 90g mixed reef. The levels swing from 20-30. I do 20gal weekly WC's. I let the new mixed water sit for 24 hours with a heater and powerhead. This isn't taking my nitrates down though. I'm also vodka dosing and using B-ionic 2 part.... that hasn't seemed to help much either. All my other params are good though. I just got rid of 3 fish hoping that would help. Now I only have 1 blue and kole tang along with a Mandrin, Pipefish and Starry Blenny (not a big load). Maybe I need to start using BioPellets?

This is frustrating. I don't overfeed either. The other reason I do weekly WC's is to keep the trace elements on par.

Any feedback from you reefer pro's?

I've been struggling with high nitrates in my 90g mixed reef. The levels swing from 20-30. I do 20gal weekly WC's. I let the new mixed water sit for 24 hours with a heater and powerhead. This isn't taking my nitrates down though. I'm also vodka dosing and using B-ionic 2 part.... that hasn't seemed to help much either. All my other params are good though. I just got rid of 3 fish hoping that would help. Now I only have 1 blue and kole tang along with a Mandrin, Pipefish and Starry Blenny (not a big load). Maybe I need to start using BioPellets?

This is frustrating. I don't overfeed either. The other reason I do weekly WC's is to keep the trace elements on par.

Any feedback from you reefer pro's?

Not a pro. What's your biological filtration like.? LR total poundage, LS etc?

You use a sock? How often do you change it? What type of skimmer do you have? Shallow SB or deep? CUC?