Newbie Saltwater Setup Questions

lazeballz

Reasonig behind the fish during a cycle is pretty simple....fish constantly release ammonia in the water through their gills, waste, and even slime coat...this high amount of ammonia coupled with the fact that u feed thr fish and uneaten food decays producing more ammonia provides more food for bacteria so that it can grow faster...of course if ur not too keep about putting a fish through that stress just put a couple of pellets of.food in there each day
oh yeah i know all about the rationale (been reading lol)
but i think its sorta inhumane..erm...infish....err you know what im getting at

Just put a shrimp from the grocery store in the tank to cycle it. Works like a charm. When it decays, it releases the ammonia you need to run your cycle. Putting any fish in to cycle is cruel, IMHO. And especially a fish you don't want long term, like most damsels. If you are not patient enough to wait out a proper cycle, you are in the wrong hobby... just my .02

Just put a shrimp from the grocery store in the tank to cycle it. Works like a charm. When it decays, it releases the ammonia you need to run your cycle. Putting any fish in to cycle is cruel, IMHO. And especially a fish you don't want long term, like most damsels. If you are not patient enough to wait out a proper cycle, you are in the wrong hobby... just my .02
the reason i use damsels is because that never worked for me....i did that and my tank cycled and i added live stock and my tank crashed...the constant supply of ammonia ensures that u'll have a huge colony of denitrifying bacteria rather than crippling ur tank everytime u add livestock because ur biological filter has to catch up

If you have sufficient biological filtration, ie LR, LS, going through a proper cycle and adding fish slowly, ie one at a time, there will be no need for catch up...

Early fish deaths happen because or impatience and rushing. Too many people have cycled their tanks with out live fish so say it does not work. I have done 2 tanks this way with great success...

If you have sufficient biological filtration, ie LR, LS, going through a proper cycle and adding fish slowly, ie one at a time, there will be no need for catch up...

Early fish deaths happen because or impatience and rushing. Too many people have cycled their tanks with out live fish so say it does not work. I have done 2 tanks this way with great success...

No matter how slowly u add fish and corals ur bio-filter still needs to catch up becausr ur putting more bioload into the tank

Nyx

Okay, now I am confused... should I just use the bottled bacteria and a prawn? or one or the other? Oh, and I have hitch hikers on my LR, I have at least three snails, either baby turbo or nerite, and I saw a tiny brittle star as well. I went back to the shop to get more of the LR, but they had sold out and will not be getting more. This LR was from their LARGE saltwater display tank. And the shop is discontinuing their live saltwater selection. So now I only have three local(that I know of) places that have saltwater fish, and only two of those have LR...

Does anyone else think that Pasadena Tropical Fish is overpriced? But they do have a lot of saltwater fish and corals... >_<

A+ is nice, but small saltwater selection and I don't believe they carry LR, I get a discount here via my freshwater planted aquarium group, SCAPE.

Monrovia Tropical-Marine Fish, Mr. Lo(he is an older asian fellow, is his name spelled right?) Has a small variety of saltwater fish and corals. He is re-building after someone did a drive through his storefront, its really dark and the going is sloooooow...

Just checked my tank params, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate under 5ppm, copper 0, and my ph is the standard test and it turned blue soooo dunno... Am I set to start adding things?

Also is a tank stand easier to setup on than in a cabinet/entertainment center?

Nyx

Popped a dead shrimp into the tank, I am gonna double check my SG(this is same as salinity, right?) tonight and top off the evaporation with some tap water. Do I need to test anything else while I'm at it?

Should I just go with plate glass or starphire?

No need to test cal yet. Just the amm, nitrites, and nitrates...

SG and salinity are pretty much the same thing, just different ways of saying it...

Don't know much about the glass, but I have heard Starphire is the way to go as Esteban said...

But I'm confused, isn't this tank up and running already?

Nyx

Don't know much about the glass, but I have heard Starphire is the way to go as Esteban said...

But I'm confused, isn't this tank up and running already?
This tank that is running is a 20gal temp tank, and i plan to move everything over to the final setup when I get it settled.

Starphire scratches just like anything else. I think we tend to ding the glass when we buy a narrow tank or try and grow things close to the glass.

If your tank has a lip over the top where you can silicone some magnets in each corner its a good way to have a mesh net to protect your fish from your carpet, 2 coralia nanos would be perfect =p