Any help would be good

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
I did a water change with 0 TdS water yesterday and plan on doing another in a few days. My diatoms are worse then ever. I don't know what it is. When I check my water it is all within ideal parameters. Could it be my sand bed causing diatoms? I'm at my end point if I don't get it fixed. On the verge of quitting as nothing I do makes it go away.

Water changes won't help in My experience. What helped me was a combo of things. Brand new rodi filters and a di/silicate buster stage. This only for top off.

First time I only did waterchanges with natural salt water. My thinking is diatoms come out when there's an imbalance or an abundance of something.

They showed up in my tank because I stripped the tank once too quickly (Gfo and carbon reactor newly added to newer tank at the same time). Basically went from a dirty tank to sterile in 24 hours. Killing all sorts of micro fauna and bacteria and other things we can't see.

I don't know how or why your diatoms came out but maybe it's your filters in your rodi. I know the water from here is awful, do you have golden state water co? May want to get a silicate buster on your last chamber.

I have some diatoms also. It may just be the water from around the hood.

Just embrace it, it will probably subside in time. Just keep up on your maintenance. As long as you are changing the water with good water you will slowly take away its food supply:)

^The silicate buster would work too^

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
A buddy makes my water for me and his filters are 3 months old with a 0 TdS reading. I think I may have cyano again also which I will be treating tomorrow. But is there any type of sand that causes diatoms? Is it possible I need to siphon out the sand?

How old is your tank? I don't know much about it, but I do have it in my cube right now. It's only been up about 3 months. I had it back when I started up my other tank for a while too. I just mix up the sand a little, burying it basically, and it seems to help it die off a lot faster.