Led fixture layout help

Spinner

Supporter
OK picture this.......
My 300 gallon tank is 96" x 24" x 30" i have two new 250 watt Lumen Max Elite with 20K and will be putting one on each end. For the center 4' lighting i am having one of these being built and need help picking Led combos and how many i should have for my 30" deep tank?
60 degree optics.
center bar between circles has two red, two UV, two moon on their own dimmer switches.

Thanks for the help!

Optics are for women who root for the Bulls and have yeast infections. If its in a canopy I vote no optics FtW, without a canopy you have to do 80 degree or higher so you don't soot light or scorch some coral

Spinner

Supporter
Optics installed

Showing quality craftsmanship

Cool pic showing acrylic nite light.....mine will be blue acrylic

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Really really cool design but I'm wondering what the par would be in the middle since the gap is pretty decent

Spinner

Supporter
Optics are for women who root for the Bulls and have yeast infections. If its in a canopy I vote no optics FtW, without a canopy you have to do 80 degree or higher so you don't soot light or scorch some coral
OK so your thinking 80s then over 60s..... FYI no canopy on this build.
I was thinking 60s to reach bottom but i don't know ship when it comes to LEDS....

Spinner

Supporter
Really really cool design but I'm wondering what the par would be in the middle since the gap is pretty decent
Good question the middle is set so a Kessil N360 could slide in if wanted.....Also could do a larger watt led too in the center and still have cutouts.
This question will be addressed before build starts:)
It will be started in two weeks so i have till then to get a plan:)

Spinner

Supporter
I know i was going to get two Kessil n360's for the middle then i saw this and well now these questions....lol
You can raise and lower and tilt back and forth the fixture which is a cool option too.

OK so your thinking 80s then over 60s..... FYI no canopy on this build.
I was thinking 60s to reach bottom but i don't know ship when it comes to LEDS....
Think of 60 degrees as a beam and not a comforting blanket. 80-110 degree ftmfw. I don't do any optics and get a good 90% of the light in my tank by tilting it in if you will. Also I keep my fixture 6-8" off the water. If I did optics I would have to go at least 12-18" off the water. It doubles as a wrasse back board.

Who makes the fixtures? Are they designed for a reef tank? They sure do look fancy, but will they work correctly?

5w LEDs or 3w? Having them spread so far apart might lose par..which will be very important on a 30" tank. Also if u add 60* optics (which I would recommend on a 30" tank), u might get disco ball affect. That's why radion, AI, etc all place their LEDs really close together. (No disco ball affect.).

I think I would look a little more into the Kessil. They are proven lights. And they also might look good next to ur metal halides. (Shimmer is intense on a kessil)

Spinner

Supporter

Thanks SR for the good feed back and i will address all these question before starting. You are right Kessil's would look GOOOOOOOD still not ruled out.

Wicked i found this reefer on RC and PM'd him he has built some really cool fixtures designs which includes an ART factor too.
Do you use your Water Blaster in line or in sump? Off topic for info:)

Spinner

Supporter
My aquascape will help with height also.
These are for you SR:)

Since your reaquascaping! No not mine just food for thought:)

Latest posts