LED/T5 Hybrid bulb selection

How's it going, thought I'd see if some of u guys could help me out. I have a DIY fixture I built on my 180g tank (6'x2'x2'). It's 90-3w Bridgelux LEDs and 4-80w t5s.

For the LEDs, I'm running 80 royal blues and 8 whites and 2 420nm. (I kept a few white LEDs so that during my "sunrise/sunset" the tank is not 100% blue LEDs)

For the t5s, I'm running 2-ATI blue+ and 2 ATI-coral+. I really like the color, it's a nice 14k. I'm just wondering if I could mix up the bulbs a little to improve the fixture.

I was originally thinking of adding a purple + or a Kz Fiji purple, but i feel the royal blue LEDs give off a purplish/blue color as it is. And I don't want my tank to be super purple.

Wondering if I should ditch a coral+ and add an actinic or what if I added a blue from another company. Like geismann or KZ. Is there another company that has a nice blue t5 bulb?

Any suggestions or tips would be great. I know it's kinda hard because its a custom light fixture, but i could probably benefit from a a little brainstorming.

Gracias

pgr11

Supporter
I think you would be on the right track with the p+ instead of the c+. When I had my t5 the p+ gave a nice deep blue but not overly purple in color. Just my pennies

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
when i upgraded, i no longer had enough coverage with my LED fixture so I added 4 80w t5s. i added the fiji purple on mine and it was wayyyyy too purple. but keep in mind i have reds and uv violets in my LED fixture which already made it purple so it might work for you.

are you trying to improve growth or the way it looks? If its working for you i would leave the t5s alone and switch 3 blue leds to red. that would add more purple without creating a spotlight effect. dont put any lenses on it and no more than 3 for your set up.

Nick I just changed my bulbs and went with 2 blue plus, 1 coral plus, 1 fiji purple. I'm running my leds at only like 30% with a 3:1 ratio of blues/whites. I know you and I both like the 20k look and I'm really happy with my color combo now.

How's it going, thought I'd see if some of u guys could help me out. I have a DIY fixture I built on my 180g tank (6'x2'x2'). It's 90-3w Bridgelux LEDs and 4-80w t5s.

For the LEDs, I'm running 80 royal blues and 8 whites and 2 420nm. (I kept a few white LEDs so that during my "sunrise/sunset" the tank is not 100% blue LEDs)

For the t5s, I'm running 2-ATI blue+ and 2 ATI-coral+. I really like the color, it's a nice 14k. I'm just wondering if I could mix up the bulbs a little to improve the fixture.

I was originally thinking of adding a purple + or a Kz Fiji purple, but i feel the royal blue LEDs give off a purplish/blue color as it is. And I don't want my tank to be super purple.

Wondering if I should ditch a coral+ and add an actinic or what if I added a blue from another company. Like geismann or KZ. Is there another company that has a nice blue t5 bulb?

Any suggestions or tips would be great. I know it's kinda hard because its a custom light fixture, but i could probably benefit from a a little brainstorming.

Gracias
Hey Nick. Are you getting any shimmer with this fixture?

I have 1 Giesemann Actinic and 1 ATI purple.. but I have 6 bulbs. I don't see any purple hugh overall when they're all on.

Ali sold me on running an Actinic... I like it. I'd say my tank is an overall 15k? Anyways, I want toknow about your shimmer...if any. AND.. if you're not getting any shimmer I'm curious why you didn't use all T5's? I'm sure that wattage is about the same with you using all 3W LEDs.

It's not just the wattage, it's also heat. LEDs = no heat.

Also yes I do get shimmer, it's not as much when t5s are on..but it's better then nothing at all. I like t5s, but to me, nothing can compare to the led "POP". U should stop by one day.

Another perk, is being able to dimm my LEDs up and down. I don't care about benefiting corals, it looks cool to me. In the morning my LEDs ramp up for 3 hours and then my t5s kick on. Then 6 hours later my t5s turn off, and my LEDs start ramping down for 4 hours.

Metal halide and t5s can't touch that. And during those hours of ramp up/down, my tank shimmers like crazy.

wickedfish

Sounds like your fine. would you hate it if you added a daylight bulb? thats what gives you the growth. i hated the GE bulb, to ugly.

I start with ati c+ and a b+ for the earlier hours.

I do the day time DD power chrome, p+, b+,b+ during the hours I get home. I have 66 working royal blue leds and like 9 whites. Your tank has to be more 18k than 14. My tank is around 12k from 2-6 then 18k from 515pm-945pm.

no man i swear its very 14k. running those 2 Coral+ bulbs, they really overpower blue. since theyre a 14k bulb, it doesnt make my tank all yellow or super white, its just a nice crisp blue. i personally like the darker blue.

I have just one ATI Aqua Blue Special (whiter bulb for growth) and it washes out my 3 ATI Blue Plus pretty good. I didn't like that GE bulb either...way yellow

Latest posts