Precautionary measures to avoid leaks?

Terefel

Hey folks! So my tank has been up and running for just over 2 months. One thing that I've not ever gotten over is the fear of a leak. (looking at six2seven's post about his leak preceeding his disaster finally got me posting about this). I never had this fear when I had a nano tank a few years back, but this setup has so much more that could go wrong! So I guess my question is, what preventative and precautionary measures do you have in place to try and prevent a leak from happening or mitigating the damage?

For example, I have an apex that I use to run my system but still haven't figured out how to access it from outside of my house (I thought Fusion would happen by now). I also know that I could buy the leak detection module, which I may do in the near future. Lastly, I usually check my setup every day to make sure there are no leaks. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks!

BeanMachine

Supporter
Avoiding vinyl tubing and barbs where you can is something that I did on my recent plumb job. Everything is glued or threaded. A leak detector is somethin I've been wanting to get for piece of mind as well.

Also make sure your sump can handle the excess water when the power goes out.

Terefel

Avoiding vinyl tubing and barbs where you can is something that I did on my recent plumb job. Everything is glued or threaded. A leak detector is somethin I've been wanting to get for piece of mind as well.

Thanks Bean! With respect to plumbing, I do have a barb for my braided vinyl return that is clamped, I suppose that's a weak spot I should continue to monitor. Aside from that the plumbing should be sound... I'm not sure I entirely trust my reactor fittings, but only because they are those quick connect type fittings (that are anything but quick disconnect, so I suppose that's a good sign).

Someone reached out to me with info on how to connect to my Apex from outside the home which should be a good stopgap until fusion comes out, so that was very helpful as well. (up next I just need to figure out why my dashboard doesn't fully work :) )

This thread also got me thinking about a possible leak. I usually check my setup as soon as go downstairs, and in the evening before the lights go out. I didn't know about leak detectors. Are they pricey?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

so you think hard pluming is better than any kind of tubeing?

in my opinion I've seen more leaks from threaded parts not being tighten enough or not having enough tape then barbed fittings with vinyl tubing. I always make sure to buy the high quality barbed grey fitting from marine depot. Stay away from the flimsy white ones you can get at home depot as they bend easily.

As for small leaks, if its going to leak its going to leak with the initial running/test. Overtime the fittings all get that build up that really prevents further leaks from happening.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I like tubing better than PVC for the return. There are no elbows or restriction so you don't lose as much head.

In my situation I cleaned the pump but forgot to put the plastic clamp back on. I've never had to worry when a clamp was on the tube.

One thing you can do is put a screen on your overflow to prevent something getting in there, clogging the drain and overflowing.

Terefel

I like tubing better than PVC for the return. There are no elbows or restriction so you don't lose as much head.

In my situation I cleaned the pump but forgot to put the plastic clamp back on. I've never had to worry when a clamp was on the tube.

One thing you can do is put a screen on your overflow to prevent something getting in there, clogging the drain and overflowing.
Thanks, Steve. I'm sorry for the troubles you've endured lately. I have a makeshift piece of egg crate on the overflow now, but I think I may now put a full screen top that will keep everybody in and will also seal the top of the overflow.

BeanMachine

Supporter
so you think hard pluming is better than any kind of tubeing?
I used a combo of hard plumbing and spa flex. I glued the spa flex into pvc to avoid any clamps, or barbs, etc. and the spa flex would have a little less head loss if if my limited understanding of plumbing is right. The fewer elbows etc also will help with head loss... but its pretty minimal I'd say.

The only threaded pipes are the return bulkhead under my tank, and the thread to slip on my return pump which even if that leaked slightly it wouldn't effect anything. Only reason I went threaded on the return bulkhead was that I already had it in place.

Last edited:
Someone reached out to me with info on how to connect to my Apex from outside the home which should be a good stopgap until fusion comes out, so that was very helpful as well. (up next I just need to figure out why my dashboard doesn't fully work :) )
may want to hit up Omar on this thread if you're having issues with your apex connecting

Terefel

may want to hit up Omar on this thread if you're having issues with your apex connecting
Thanks, Jeff! I had seen that thread and have been tempted many a time. However, I didn't want to take advantage of Omar's generosity, being a newer member and primarily a lurker on the forum. I messed with it last night and tried to connect from outside my network and though the Apex app could "see" the Apex, it was unable to load any information (probe data, outlets, etc.) I suspect I may have a router issue that will require some more research.

wickedfish

Wicked Suggestions to not ruin your house with floods!
1)Run all tubes inside of your sump, in case one pops off its in the sump no worries.

2) over sized sump to catch all water that may come back from display.

3) run a solid check valve that can be taken apart at the ends and that is clear.

4) put real clamps on tubes not cheapy crappy ones.

5) have a water alarm next to any area that will have possible spillage, the sell em at lowes or HD and are so freaking loud. Cheap insurance!

6) setup an apex with actual functions.

7) a camera also helps you see water levels and to see if the return is running based on its flow.

8) always have covers on overflows that are snug. Don't know how many reefers I've seen with it open. Just asking for a flood. You can cut the acrylic yourself.

9) try not to make your rodi in the house or at least use a float valve (I've been lucky but I did flood the fish room 3 times.)