Reef Dynamics 250 - thoughts and questions

So I picked up a used Reef Dynamics 250 about 2 years ago and put it on a 93 gallon cube with 30g sump. I performed well, but never really foamed up like I would have expected such an overpowered skimmer to do in a small tank. It is theoretically capable of 800 gallons (or so they say). From their website:

CAPACITY: The INS250 is rated to filter up to 800 gallons of total system water volume when compared with other like sized products on the market.

For the last 2-3 weeks while building my 240 (+180 sump) I used a CoralLife 125 that I had on my frag tank that always seemed to kick butt in generating a good amount of skimate, so much so I was debating using it instead of the 250.

A few days ago I swapped out the CoralLife for the Reef Dynamics and wow, it started out like a champ and started throwing out a beautiful head of foam.

So the question/observation, does using an skimmer that is rated much higher than the tank perform less than optimal results? Anyone else see this?

Btw, the 93 had 10 fish, and now the 240 has 17.

A greatly overrated skimmer for a small tank will generally underperform. Not sure why; the guy who sold me his cones co3 ran it on a small tank and couldn't get any skimmate from it. Once I dropped it in my tank it produced consistent skimmate