Flame Angel

Wondering what people have seen when trying to keep these guys. I have a 100G and a yellow tang amont a few other interesting fish. I really wanted a nice looking medium sized fish to add to my tank. I have read about them and know most people say its 50/50 as to if they leave your coral alone or not. I am trying it for now since I really like the fish. It seems to be doing pretty well so far and I am feeding lightly twice a day to try and keep it from going after an coral. Any stories out there? I am hoping to have a good experience but keeping my eye out just in case. I have a good amount of coral (mixed reef) nothing overly expensive but if it came down to it I would have to pull it out if I start loosing a bunch of pieces.

I had one for years without issue that being said there are a few things to know.

If you see yours picking at your coral it doesn’t mean you have a bad fish, it means you have a hungry one. These guys don’t eat coral but will pick at it looking for something tasty. Because of this they are not going to ruin your coral by eating it. It will be an issue of being repeatedly picked at and not being able to open safely. Meaning they will not get enough light and can stress and weather away.

I would suggest trying one if you are interested. If you see it picking, try feeding more often not necessarily more food. Some fish need to eat more often due to a shorter digestive track. Feeding more food in one setting does not always fix the issue. Again, it’s often a matter of more often and not bigger meals. I hope this helps, it’s a great reef fish.

Yes that does help and yea I spread the same amount of food over two feeding in the hopes that it will start not have as much time between feelings to get curios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had 2, both successful, the only issue I had was one would occasionally nip acans. I have a bicolor as well, same thing. Personally I like the bi-color a little more, he has a cool go with the flow swimming style...he rides the current like a kite.

I just got one a couple weeks ago!! Great fish with very nice coloration, it really stands out with it's bright red above the rest!! My rule of thumb is always if u do constant feedings and keep tjrm full thru out the day it will decrease ur chances of it picking ur coral by a lot. I have 4 Angels that aren't suppose to be reef safe and they been very good for the most part, a regal, emperor, bicolor & the flame. The only one I see pick coral once in s while is the emperor but it's only been once or twice that I've seen.. Good luck with you flame angel

Get an automatic feeder to feed the formula for angelfish... In addition to that, feed the frozen angelfish food. Nothing to worry about if they're being well fed. I wouldn't worry about them eat much of your coral. I think they are totally reef safe.

Larry

So I think I have some bad news. Have been feeding mysis with vitamin drops twice daily. Came home today and have white spots on my brain coral. Sorry for the dim image but those two light spots look like bite marks and there are more on the other side. Going to give it another day to check out. May be getting out the fish trap this weekend.

False alarm decided to use a turkey baster and blow on it. Ended up debris even tho it looks like chunks taken out. Also had a large hammered that was super closed up tonight. May have just been excreting waste though. Going to give it until the weekend and see if everything still looks good.