Dosing or Calc reactor

deaclauderdale

Addicted Reefer
My Tank Build
I know opinions will vary in this, bit I'd like to get an idea from the community on preferred method and dosing procedures?

I'm familiar with the use of a calcium reactor, but I don't necessarily have the space for one, so what is the process for correctly dosing a tank as the pumps and containers will fit better in my setup?

Reef keeping is life!

Dosing is what I am doing now in the 400 but may have to change up soon as I am up to 450mils of each to keep up with coral and I think a CA reactor will be cheaper. I do like the control of dosing, but there is still maintenance to make sure tubes are not clogged, containers are full, and dosing heads do not have any leaks. I am putting a Kalk reactor online to help supplement my dose and keep up my PH, but I do see a reactor in my future.

On a side note I have switched over to ME corals supplements and can say I am impressed with how easy and clear they mix in comparison to others I have tried.

Dosing is what I've done for years now and it's what I know. It's been fine as long as I stayed on top of it and made sure I didn't run out (which I have before). But now that I have 2 tanks it's getting expensive. The heads crap out from time to time, tubes get clogged, bins run dry. Things can go wrong but I'm sure running a calc reactor isn't as streamline and easy as some people say...but maybe cheaper in the long run and possibly more stable? I think I will possibly be buying a reactor in the very near future for 1 of my tanks.

xthunderx

Premium Member
Supporter
I've been very curious to try Ca Reactor. I've had modest success with 2 part and Kalk in the ATO. Most tanks I start up, I start with Kalk alone for the first six months to a year, and only supplement after I see corals taking off.

Ca Reactor I think is the next level of complexity for me, and I am excited about trying it. I just think it's a neat solution to the dosing problem.

I will pull the trigger soon, I do think Ca Reactor is in the cards for me in the near future.

I know opinions will vary in this, bit I'd like to get an idea from the community on preferred method and dosing procedures?

I'm familiar with the use of a calcium reactor, but I don't necessarily have the space for one, so what is the process for correctly dosing a tank as the pumps and containers will fit better in my setup?

Reef keeping is life!
John,
I think it is depend on how big or much the corals consume. If small tank, I might recommend 2 part cause it is much easy to run and correct it. For big tank, like some reefers hear have problem with cost and supplement preparation, so Calcium Reactor sound like better options.

I think the tank parameter in line and CR keep the level stable, but not correct it.

deaclauderdale

Addicted Reefer
My Tank Build
John,
I think it is depend on how big or much the corals consume. If small tank, I might recommend 2 part cause it is much easy to run and correct it. For big tank, like some reefers hear have problem with cost and supplement preparation, so Calcium Reactor sound like better options.

I think the tank parameter in line and CR keep the level stable, but not correct it.
Size wise I'm pretty sure I can get away with dosing I've just never done it before. I mean I manual dosed my tanks never attempted to run the automated setups that I see a lot today, but my guess is that it can't be that different.

Reef keeping is life!

Size wise I'm pretty sure I can get away with dosing I've just never done it before. I mean I manual dosed my tanks never attempted to run the automated setups that I see a lot today, but my guess is that it can't be that different.

Reef keeping is life!
John, it is very easy progress.

here is procedure:

Choose a time, and measure the tank's parameter(Alk, Ca, Mag) Do not add anything to the tank. and wait 24 hour.
Next day same time you measure the tank's parameter again to see how much supplement that consumed by the corals.

If you use BRS's 2 part. They do have calculator in their website. Just input your tank volume and levels you have and want to be. They will give you the amount you need to dose. If you have doser (in my case, Bubble Margus Doser) You just put how much you want to dose within 24hr and how many time, they will automate calculate and dose.

Next day, check 1 more time, if the level is what you wanted, then all set. If little high then reduce the amount, or increase if low.