Anyone know what Neptune Systems big announcement is going to be?

I like the Salinity probe, it does not accurately match my salinity, but it does show trends and if your ATO sticks on or your external skimmer overflows you can set a warning or even turn off the ATO. Redundancy and fresh water has killed many tanks over the years.

I didn't think the news was that big, but I will probably try one out and see how I like.

Terence Alk and CA Monitor, that would be Big news!

I think it will be legit. Im liking the new 24v ports. That will basically get rid of most of my power supplies. The 2 accessory ports are legit also. One will be used for the ato while the others will be used to mix my chems before they are dosed and a fan.

The brains will be sold separately, so I'm not as disappointed as yesterday. I'm all about easy software updates. I haven't updated the firmware of my apex because its such an inconvenience. A native IOS app is a highly welcomed addition since I have to log into fusion every time I bring it up.

Is the display wireless? Meaning I can sit it on my coffee table or on the kitchen counter?
The display is still wired via USB. But downloading the app on your smart phone or tablet will give wireless capabilities.

The brains will be sold separately, so I'm not as disappointed as yesterday. I'm all about easy software updates. I haven't updated the firmware of my apex because its such an inconvenience. A native IOS app is a highly welcomed addition since I have to log into fusion every time I bring it up.
What will the brain unit do for you alone? Is it compatible with the old eb8?

What will the brain unit do for you alone? Is it compatible with the old eb8?
It'll eliminate the need for the gaming adapter that I have connected. It'll allow me to update the firmware with ease everytime new features abound, and it'll give me access to the advanced interface from my phone or laptop. And the new brain is backwards compatible with the EB8, yes.

It'll eliminate the need for the gaming adapter that I have connected. It'll allow me to update the firmware with ease everytime new features abound, and it'll give me access to the advanced interface from my phone or laptop. And the new brain is backwards compatible with the EB8, yes.
What is the advanced interface?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What is the advanced interface?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
It's all the options/settings you access through the web server. The stuff fusion doesn't have. Like when you setup text notifications, you gotta do it it through the web server. Or when you rename outlets, etc.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
thats funny my gaming control adapter just went out today. But I think I'm gonna go with a power line adapter and keep my old apex

Adding the salinity port is really a gimmick, the actual probe for it is super expensive, $125. Salinity is pretty stable unless you're making drastic water changes to your tank. I just don't see a point.
I actually think its a good idea. I use one to prevent an accidental fresh water overdose. If my salinity drops below my set point 1.023 the ATO pump will not come on. I actually get an e-mail notification and test when it drops below 1.024

The new Apex will be arguably the best controller on the market, what is not arguable is that it is easily the ugliest controller on the market. Apex needs to hire a decent design engineer. I know their intent is to give all their products the new "Apex" look, sadly they accomplished their goal.

deaclauderdale

Addicted Reefer
My Tank Build
The new Apex will be arguably the best controller on the market, what is not arguable is that it is easily the ugliest controller on the market. Apex needs to hire a decent design engineer. I know their intent is to give all their products the new "Apex" look, sadly they accomplished their goal.
That may be a bit of an overreach until we see what Vertex and Tunze's controllers really offer (yes I own an Apex). I agree that the aesthetics took a huge hit with this new controller.

Reef keeping is life!

That may be a bit of an overreach until we see what Vertex and Tunze's controllers really offer (yes I own an Apex). I agree that the aesthetics took a huge hit with this new controller.

Reef keeping is life!
The thing about the Apex is that is has an entire community and manufacturers surrounded by it. It's going to take Tunze and Vertex years to achieve what the Apex has accomplished. You can practically do almost anything imaginable with the apex, but the other companies are going to take a while to develop all these modules/products. And the Apex is incredibly flexible and versatile due to its programming. When you take away the programming aspect, you're taking away a lot of possibilities.

deaclauderdale

Addicted Reefer
My Tank Build
The thing about the Apex is that is has an entire community and manufacturers surrounded by it. It's going to take Tunze and Vertex years to achieve what the Apex has accomplished. You can practically do almost anything imaginable with the apex, but the other companies are going to take a while to develop all these modules/products. And the Apex is incredibly flexible and versatile due to its programming. When you take away the programming aspect, you're taking away a lot of possibilities.
I agree the programmability of the Apex is second to none, but it at times can feel a bit overwhelming. I think the price point of Tunze will get it a few looks in the market, and Vertex is known for producing a good product as well. With that said I have no current intention of switching to either controller, but I also won't be buying the new Apex as its just really ugly and bulky and won't fit my current under the stand design.

Reef keeping is life!

Can I program different schedules for different days of the week?

Basic example:
Monday -Friday sunrise to sunset 11am-11pm
Saturday-Sunday sunrise to sunset 9am to 9pm

Is that possible?

I agree the programmability of the Apex is second to none, but it at times can feel a bit overwhelming. I think the price point of Tunze will get it a few looks in the market, and Vertex is known for producing a good product as well. With that said I have no current intention of switching to either controller, but I also won't be buying the new Apex as its just really ugly and bulky and won't fit my current under the stand design.

Reef keeping is life!

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
Can I program different schedules for different days of the week?

Basic example:
Monday -Friday sunrise to sunset 11am-11pm
Saturday-Sunday sunrise to sunset 9am to 9pm

Is that possible?
Yes. Maybe...and not as straightfoward as you would like

The neptune programming is nice because you can do a lot that you cant with others but it is really basic and doesnt give you a lot of flexibility. For example there should be a way to see how long an outlet has been on instead of having to create virtual outlets and make workaround timers. I have had my apex for a long time and an ac3 before it and love it but I think there is a lot of room to grow. With the move towards fusion/gui i dont know if they will expand the programming language though.

Last edited: