Watts per gallon question......

dwrig

If you're talking LED the short answer is ... 2.4. I run 2 120 watt cheap Chinese fixtures over a standard 100 gallon mixed reef. Softy and lps growth is good, sps is ok. The long (and better) answer... go read the lighting threads on reefcentral.

Oops - just noticed I missed the decimal point...

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

xmas_one

You really can't use wpg as a rule for anything. Too many variables especially if you aren't nailing it down to a specific type of light. PAR is a much more useful number to use when talking about lighting.

No, I know that a par meter is great for measuring. But at that point you would have already bought the system. Is there any way to know the par through the manufacturer ?

No, I know that a par meter is great for measuring. But at that point you would have already bought the system. Is there any way to know the par through the manufacturer ?
Ive seen some manufacturers put par readings on the advertisements.

Now correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't par be more important on LED fixtures, as T5 or MH are well established? Or is there noticeable differences between manufacturers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Well I was gunna go with the aquatic life 12 bulb but each bulb is 39 watts. My tank is 225 30 high. I wanna make sure I have coverage everywhere. I know halides would be great but run so hot for my apt. Right now I'm just running a 6 bulb t5 and all my Monti's do well but don't have much near the floor.

xmas_one

Isn't that fixture technically just a "6 bulb" that uses 12 39w instead of 6 80w? If so you're not gaining anything other than a higher tab when you go to replace bulbs.

xmas_one

So you have the 4' bulbs on a 6' tank? You will see increased intensity with a 6' setup on the ends where you previously had no coverage, but things will be the same under that center 4'.

Oh no I have 6 bulbs at 54 watt a bulb. I guess yea it would be nice to get the corners of the tank lot better. But I'm wondering if I go 2 a 12 bulb 39 watts will that be enough to penetrate the 30 inch depth and grow sps

Latest posts