Naso tang 150 stick tank

nasotang

Premium Member
Supporter
Featured Reef
Wow, another tank thread! My progression since getting back into the hobby around 2008--24g, 50g, 75g, 90g, 125g and now 150. Started with metal halide, then mh power compact, then mh t5, then t5, then led, now at t5 + led.

Anyway, retiring my 125 soon. Ran that one about a year. Packed it up with sticks, ran out of room, spent the entire year thinning back my colonies. Ran well, but i had bubble algae outbreak and mojanos. Got rid of the mojanos with a filefish and aptasia x. Still have some bubble algae, but have a rabbitfish and maybe still an emerald or two. We'll see.

Anyway, old tank is here

http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65779

New tank is a standard visio (i think) 150 with bracing, black stand and its drilled for 2" drain and 1" return. Thinking through the plumbing now. Worried that my return would not keep up with a 2" drain. The return cuts back to two 5/8" loclines. So i'll have to reduce the return from 1" to 5/8". And i'm not sure i cam fit a 2" durso or maggie standpipe in this overflow box:

Big thanks to vic sdboltsfan for helping me haul this sucker up to temecula. Been planning for about 2 months now and the tank is finally in the garage!

So if all goes well with plumbing, i will run a 55 gallon sump with my speedwave 1350 dc pump. One thing i just realized is that my return pump is still in operation on the old tank. Might make plumbing fitting and mock up in the garage a challenge. Not sure any if my previous upgrades used the same return pump...

Gonna upgrade my skimmer to an ati supercone 250 skimmer i'm picking up. Im used to old skimmers, this one is fancy!

I'm going open top again, and having a light hanger fabbed by a local welder. We're picking colors, dims are all worked out and i will have 3 ai sols and two hagen glo two bulb t5 fixtures hanging from a rack since my ceiling is super high in the location. If all goes well, lights will be adjustable up and down on wires. Gonna go blue plus, purple plus, and coral plus to supplement the ai sols.

A rw15, mp40 and wp40 will provide in tank flow. Might upgrade to two rw15s and sell off the wp40 at some point. We'll see if this is enough, this combo was pretty strong in my 125.

nasotang

Premium Member
Supporter
Featured Reef
Redgarding the stand

The sump, the one in back, 55 gallon with center fuge

The ati powercone 250 skimmer. Its big...

Sump in stand

And the front side. Working on the plumbing, gonna water test it this weekend and clean up the coralline

Last edited:
You can always put a gate/ball valve on the drain to slow it down, if you feel your return can't keep up. Also, have you cons8dered using both of the holes for a herbie drain and do an up and over for a return?

BeanMachine

Supporter
Should be a great tank... keep the updates coming.

What's with the pink paint? Is that to protect from moister?

nasotang

Premium Member
Supporter
Featured Reef
Yeah redgard is like moistureproof shower liner. This is my first time, people have recommended it to me, but its pricey. And i hate the red. Painted over it with kilz white. Redgard is like a plastic membrane so the wood should be pretty well protected.

nasotang

Premium Member
Supporter
Featured Reef
Can't believe i water tested it on dollies. I don't recommend it, but i don't think they cracked....

nasotang

Premium Member
Supporter
Featured Reef
Ok day zero is tomorrow. Can't wait to get going with the transfer.

Spent the last week drying, fixing outlets in the cabinet, making an overflow cover...

Transfer day will be tricky in the sense i have to install my light bar after moving tank 1 and before moving in tank two. Tank position is dependent on the light bar dimensions. Hope i got it right....

Not wishing you bad juju.. But I want frags of all the colonies that break... LOL

I did a similar move broke pieces off of everything and not on purpose.

nasotang

Premium Member
Supporter
Featured Reef
Not wishing you bad juju.. But I want frags of all the colonies that break... LOL

I did a similar move broke pieces off of everything and not on purpose.
Yeah i'm used to it. Surpisingly all of my colonies are movable, i dont let em encrust on rock. They are all on fat rock bases in other words...

That said, last tank switch i dropped some enormous colonies and that was quite a mess...i dont have too many big ones like that anymore though, i hacked em up and sold em off...

nasotang

Premium Member
Supporter
Featured Reef
Thanks its done. Had alot of help, getting the equipment setup is only half done. My custom light rail is pretty awesome i must say...

nasotang

Premium Member
Supporter
Featured Reef
Too early to say. Rocks kinda piled in there, threw the coral in. I had heaters and pumps in most of the livestock during transfer. Went pretty fast.

I had these rock structures built with marco rock flat pieces. After a year in the tank, pulling out these big structures resulted in a mess of crumbling rock. We're lucky we didnt take out any glass in the process.

Thanks to tylbaart for helping me through this. We did the best we could with no lights on and broken rick pieces. I didnt get the lights turned in till late and i still have to wire the ai sols. But the light hanger is the bomb, had a local guy here build it for me. Let me know if anyone has projects for him, he is affordable and great to work with.

nasotang

Premium Member
Supporter
Featured Reef
5 foot window, 5 foot tank. Light bars spread perfect at 60". The bars have recessed holes to fit an adjustable cable gripper and the extra wire feeds into the bars. 3aisols in the center lengthwise, and 2 x 2 48" t5 fixtures. These could be swapped to 60" fixtures but i don't think i need em.

Latest posts