2500+ Gallon outdoor BUILD THREAD at Ellis Aquatics

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
Decomposed granite is due to be delivered tomorrow morning and we will get to laying that tomorrow and Friday (so happy to say goodbye to the last of the exposed dirt/mud)

after that we will be doing the gazebo roof and get to work building the fire pit, couch/sectional, and bbq/bar area

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
Looking good Jayson. Figure out your fire pit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"legally" I couldn't find any guidelines/rules...tried calling fire station/marshall/etc no info there either. To my understanding its only restrictions on what you burn (and of course "safe and contained")

What is it called and please sell me a frag. Lol
i know it as "gabriel" and yes, it's a hybrid hibiscus.. i had a huge one, but a dog killed it... it's a nice hibiscus IMO.. one of the nicest hybrids around...

https://www.google.com/search?q=gab...oTCMGk48bXoMgCFcQ4iAodcBMDQg&biw=1366&bih=705

oh, and jayson... looking good.. but are those plumeria cuttings in water..? if they are.. they're dead now.. LOL... they can't be left submerged in water.. they rot easily...

and i also forgot, if you're using plants with potting soil... you shouldn't have put in the fish/turtles right away because oil releases a ton of ammonia... but i guess the hyacinth did it's job... LOL....

looks good brother..

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
oh, and jayson... looking good.. but are those plumeria cuttings in water..? if they are.. they're dead now.. LOL... they can't be left submerged in water.. they rot easily...

and i also forgot, if you're using plants with potting soil... you shouldn't have put in the fish/turtles right away because oil releases a ton of ammonia... but i guess the hyacinth did it's job... LOL....

looks good brother..
plumeria are all in dirt/soil mix, the ones that look bad are actually some that family gave to me but were not planted for days unfortunately

as far as aquatic plants, I knocked all/most of the dirt off and planted them in gravel...the only ones with soil are the lilies and the cat tail but these were already in that soil when I purchased them so I imagine it has "cured" in a sense long before I bought them

dude, you want some more plumeria? my tree in the front yard is going nuts. it's the normal yellow/white ones. gave gumbii like 20 branches a while back.. :p

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
dude, you want some more plumeria? my tree in the front yard is going nuts. it's the normal yellow/white ones. gave gumbii like 20 branches a while back.. :p
appreciate the offer, unfortunately my families two white/yellow ones are same way. went from a 12" clipping and in 5yrs is now 15' x 10' each, I grabbed a cutting from them first a few weeks back and it is 5' x 3' and you cant even see where I cut it off from the main tree lol

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
I keep forgetting to take a pic of the tropical lotus during the bright part of the day when its all the way open but here it is partially closed tho

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
Also a buddy gave me a flowering bamboo (didn't know there was a such thing as a flowering bamboo lol) he has been growing it for years he said and its easy to grow and the butterflies, hummingbirds and dragon flies love it

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
Although I have not updated in 3 weeks we have still been working hard on this project. Need to take pics and post them, but in the past couple weeks we layed all the granite flooring, finished building the gazebo and installed: shingle/drip edges/gutter, built the bar top, placed the BBQ in place, installed all the electrical, built the bench/planter, and built 50% of the countertop/cabinet where the fridge goes. Right now we are leveling the walkway so we can lay the rest of the slate steps from the bridge to the steps going up to the dining area.

here is a few pics of the beginning of us laying out the planter to get a final design before we got started.

driveway and side of the house back loaded up with lumber yet again

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
here is the finished bench/planter

approx. 8' x 8' x 5'

the hinges on the seat near the back rest turn this into "boat seating" making the seat into lids for storage underneath