Help! Is this ok?

We are all here to help or aleast some of us are. Dont take it the wrong way. Learn and learn.
Not trying to pick on you... Just trying to be helpful.
And that's why I'm here! I really want the help! This is my first time posting anything and I have obviously managed to get your responses so that's good. Finally! haha I really have many factors. My anemone was my #1 so I started the thread, or what not, hoping to find people to actually talk to me :/ for help...

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
What are your parameters? Also hard to tell from the pic if its mouth is open. Dont feed just let it acclimate to you tank for a week or two. Also feeding it is not necessary.

And that's why I'm here! I really want the help! This is my first time posting anything and I have obviously managed to get your responses so that's good. Finally! haha I really have many factors. My anemone was my #1 so I started the thread, or what not, hoping to find people to actually talk to me :/ for help...
All good. Keep the questions coming. LOTS of experience here. Take any advice with a grain of salt, but, there are basic truths in this hobby. One of the biggies is, iffy or poor water quality will ALWAYS effect our tank inhabitants.
Every tank is different, and what works for one person might not necessarily work for another. That said, good water quality is the common thread to 100% of the tanks that are successful for the long term

Long story short, I have a 125 gal. 10 lbs of sand and rock with mics things such as shells. I've had living barnicals... I have been getting some dark green ground algae just got red algae and after that got green hair algae.
I change 15 gal of water a week.
I have 1 6 lined wrasse, 1 cardinal fish, 2 blue chromis and I just bought 2 of those bright orange and purplish lyre things. (Look like longer orange chromis kinda)
Also 2 snails and 2 calico box crabs or leopard crabs.
All my parameters have been on key except my nitrates have slowly been rising. Last month I purchased a tm skim800 that seems to be working ok (I'll ask about that later) lol
And 3 power heads.
My water is crystal clear I don't understand why my nitrate won't get under control. I can't find a cure!

Long story short, I have a 125 gal. 10 lbs of sand and rock with mics things such as shells. I've had living barnicals... I have been getting some dark green ground algae just got red algae and after that got green hair algae.
I change 15 gal of water a week.
I have 1 6 lined wrasse, 1 cardinal fish, 2 blue chromis and I just bought 2 of those bright orange and purplish lyre things. (Look like longer orange chromis kinda)
Also 2 snails and 2 calico box crabs or leopard crabs.
All my parameters have been on key except my nitrates have slowly been rising. Last month I purchased a tm skim800 that seems to be working ok (I'll ask about that later) lol
And 3 power heads.
My water is crystal clear I don't understand why my nitrate won't get under control. I can't find a cure!
Nitrate is (more or less) the end of the line of the Nitrogen cycle. Meaning in a nutshell, (sorry if this is a bit 101) that ammonia is broken down to nitrite, nitrite to nitrate. Unless you are doing something like carbon dosing, or using a bio pellet reactor, then the only real effective way to remove nitrate from the tank is regular partial water changes. There are other ways of course, such as a deep sand bed etc, but for this already long winded reply, water changes are the best.
By mentioning that you are now starting to get algae growth, it says to me that your tank is starting to be fully cycled. The red algae is probably not an algae at all, but actually cyano bacteria. Cyano is a scourge that we will (probably) all face at some point, but very common in a new tank. Cyano is often fed by Phosphate as well as nitrate. Phosphate is often leached from the rock itself. Having a new tank, and the fact that some of your rock/sand came directly from the ocean leads me to believe that in some part, there has been a small die off leading to an ammonia spike, leading to the aforementioned Nitrate at the end of the Nitrogen cycle.
Water clarity isn't necessarily a good indication of good water quality.
Good on you for adding a protein skimmer. That will help immensely.
Keep at it. Do partial REGULAR water changes using high quality water to start with. Keep asking questions, and never lose your sense of humor. Trust me, our tanks can be VERY frustrating at times, but in the long run, very rewarding.

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
I concur lol
Nitrate is (more or less) the end of the line of the Nitrogen cycle. Meaning in a nutshell, (sorry if this is a bit 101) that ammonia is broken down to nitrite, nitrite to nitrate. Unless you are doing something like carbon dosing, or using a bio pellet reactor, then the only real effective way to remove nitrate from the tank is regular partial water changes. There are other ways of course, such as a deep sand bed etc, but for this already long winded reply, water changes are the best.
By mentioning that you are now starting to get algae growth, it says to me that your tank is starting to be fully cycled. The red algae is probably not an algae at all, but actually cyano bacteria. Cyano is a scourge that we will (probably) all face at some point, but very common in a new tank. Cyano is often fed by Phosphate as well as nitrate. Phosphate is often leached from the rock itself. Having a new tank, and the fact that some of your rock/sand came directly from the ocean leads me to believe that in some part, there has been a small die off leading to an ammonia spike, leading to the aforementioned Nitrate at the end of the Nitrogen cycle.
Water clarity isn't necessarily a good indication of good water quality.
Good on you for adding a protein skimmer. That will help immensely.
Keep at it. Do partial REGULAR water changes using high quality water to start with. Keep asking questions, and never lose your sense of humor. Trust me, our tanks can be VERY frustrating at times, but in the long run, very rewarding.

Haha thank u! I set it up in dec. And kept testing watching ammonia rise then nitrite then the nitrate then kicked in. Since then I haven't had anything except nitrate show bad. I change 15 gallons a week along with every couple days evaporation. And I'm buying filtered water from a local distributer. I've tested the water and it's 0 ppm in every category. Whatcha think?

I do have carbon in my canister filter. Idk what carbon dosing is
This (carbon dosing) is more of a 400 series class than 101.

Carbon in your filter is more for water clarity than Nitrate removal. Which is fine, and nothing to worry about.

Carbon dosing is, how do I put this without writing another book... Adding a food source for additional bacteria that will in turn, break down Nitrate to a less harmful compound.

I still think partial water changes are the way to go in your situation for now. You could do a larger water change now, using high quality water like RODI, and then follow up regularly with smaller partial changes until you get the Nitrate under control.

Another good adage in this hobby is "Nothing good happens fast"

As Jose mentioned in an earlier post, testing using a good quality test kit is key. That will tell you exactly what is going on without shooting blindly.

I personally use Red Sea, but I know others swear by Salifert.

This (carbon dosing) is more of a 400 series class than 101.

Carbon in your filter is more for water clarity than Nitrate removal. Which is fine, and nothing to worry about.

Carbon dosing is, how do I put this without writing another book... Adding a food source for additional bacteria that will in turn, break down Nitrate to a less harmful compound.

I still think partial water changes are the way to go in your situation for now. You could do a larger water change now, using high quality water like RODI, and then follow up regularly with smaller partial changes until you get the Nitrate under control.

Another good adage in this hobby is "Nothing good happens fast"

As Jose mentioned in an earlier post, testing using a good quality test kit is key. That will tell you exactly what is going on without shooting blindly.

I personally use Red Sea, but I know others swear by Salifert.
What does the nitrate test at?
Nitrates at 80... i will definitely look into a better test kit. I feel that's my last resort for true verification now. It just hit me that my water flow was leaving a dead spot on the surface since tank is so long. Could I be reading a higher nitrate level because it's surface water? I have since changed my power heads since I got the nem and I feel it's better...
I have access to that type of water so I will definitely try a bigger water change. U think 30 gals would be good enough? Followed by my weekly change?...
Do you no anything about that sugar theory? Sugar instead of vodka like the Germans use.
That's supposed to eat away the nitrate or cause the nitrifing bacteria to bloom more.
Is that like the food source your speaking of? I'm sure not what u ment but could act as such? Other than that I'm not sure how to use a food source to help the nitrifing bacteria

Okay, I'll try to go in order.
Nitrates at 80 is WAAAAY to high.. As mentioned before, Mr. Condi won't like that at all. As will all inverts.
Nitrates in a tank holding inverts (nems, shrimp, crab, corals etc.) Should be single digits. Some will argue a bit more, bit I digress...
I would trust API as far as I could throw my car... Just my opinion, but still...
A dead spot on the surface won't affect Nitrate. More of a gas exchange situation, but still important.
30 gals in a 125 would be close to the ratio of what I personally do weekly. I think if you could do that for a few weeks, you would see a marked improvement in your Nitrate levels. So you have a comparison, I do 55 gals on my 240 weekly. Some may argue this point, but as I mentioned earlier, what works for one may not work for another... At the end, all boils down to water quality.
As far as the "sugar theory" that is a type of carbon dosing. Sugar is a type of carbon as is vodka and Bio pellets. I think a basic understanding of how YOUR tank works with bio load etc. with a regular water change schedule, high quality test kits and a bit of patients, will go much further than adopting a fancy biological method you may not fully understand. I am not meaning to pick on you,or demean carbon dosing all, but there is quite a bit more to carbon dosing than dumping a bit of sugar, vodka or whatever in the tank.
Hope this didn't sound like preaching, or a long winded diatribe...
Keep the questions coming. I am more than sure many here will add (or possibly contradict) everything I and others have said. Keep in mind. LOOK at your tank and inhabitants. They will more often than not tell you how they feel... Work from sound basic principles, don't rush to judgment. You'll be fine. So will your tank...

Last edited:
Thank you for that explanation. I will do bigger water changes plus use the Rodi water.
Now you've heard I have a low bio load. Up until I get the nem, I only had 3 fish 2 crabs 2 snails In a the 125...nitrate level slowly climbed. Has the cycle been off ya think? I didn't think so because I was seeing a lot of the "ending" or nitrate. If the cycle is working should I see anything spike like amonia? I was in the routine of testing right before each water change. I no it could change with new water but, that was the easiest time for Me to do it routinely. Just think, my brain is equivalent to my good ole' buddy Mr Clyde the nem haha who is currently inflating himself back up from when lights were dark. He's looking good. All my fish have unless they have HAD ick stupid LFS (oh no that's not a nem, just looks like it) or I think my cardinal fish "yoda ;) " has been a bully along with the wrasse "skittles ;) " both of them seem to live it in the tank! Specially the wrasse. The only thing I have lost besides the 4 chromis that swam up to fish heaven ( i keep getting them to have a school but they don't like each other) I've lost a clown fish that was truly to small probably and a cardinal fish that when I returned from a lil trip (gone afternoon and night. Back next morning) I found the Cardinals longest fin on his back had been cut in half somehow. Or chomped off be the other one. All visible reasons of death. I was thinking my nitrate was possibly stressing them out but other than that everything seems to love the tank.
With that in mind I decided to not ignore the nitrate but see what could live in it just because before I talked to you I'd been discouraged and thought there was nothing more I could do or, would just rather listen to this guy talk about how he has never had a tank with low nitrate he doesn't like it. And his stuff was ok... idk I'm in love with this hobby and would actually love to do something in regards to aquariums for my lively hood. I find it so fascinating.