Rarest clownfish

gonumber24

Premium Member
Supporter
Yea, breeding through Bluezooaquatics.com. It was wild caught from Papea New Guinea.

I thought Matt Pederson was breeding this fish? Or attempting to at least?
i thought he succeeded not that long ago... i saw pictures somewhere of a tank with like 10 premna and three of them had the lightning pattern...

btw...

that's like the second pair they pull out of papua new guinea... the first pair was auctioned off for $texas too, but the buyer killed them...

You are correct James.

Ret Talbot did a talk at SCMAS about sustainable reefs and PNG. Also spoke a little about that amazing fish.

Yeah, +1 sucks its a maroon haha

Not bad...... but for 2500$ (on a super crappy flight) I can go to Europe and act a fool. What can that fish do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Lightning have not bred in captivity. There is only one and Matt Pedersen has her. The link you posted Wally, was a aprilfools joke, that has taken place two years in a row. When I first saw it I hit the roof and started looking for proof and a price on the babies. Took about 5 minutes to realize what was going on and if you look you wiil find also, it was a JOKE! Since then, we have been fortunate enough to have several chats and conversations with Mr.Pedersen. You should look him up and see what this guy has done and continues to do for our hobby ;)

mpedersen

Just doing a bit of myth-busting ;)

Only one known in existence , just sold for $2,500.
1. One other was captured in 2008. It is apparently not alive.
2. The one pictured, the one I own, was not "just sold" for $2,500. I have owned it for well over a year now.

I think he still has it and has been attempting to breed it.
http://www.lightning-maroon-clownfish.com/
Indeed, I do still have it. And man, I need to do an update on the blog - thanks for posting the link. FWIW, that is the DEFINITIVE site for the fish...because it's the actual site for the actual fish. You'll find the story from day one is there, along with every excruciating detail right up to present (except that I am about 2 weeks behind on posting some interesting news).

Yea, breeding through Bluezooaquatics.com. It was wild caught from Papea New Guinea.
I wouldn't say "breeding through Blue Zoo" - it was captured at Fisherman's Island in Papua New Guinea as part of the SEASMART program, shipped to Pacific Aqua Farms, and retailed (and sold) to me by BlueZooAquatics.com.

that's like the second pair they pull out of papua new guinea... the first pair was auctioned off for $texas too, but the buyer killed them...
There has never, to my knowledge, been a pair of Lightning Maroons collected. There was one in 2008, and one in 2010. 2008 fish, I can't address the stories about the auctioning off to a buyer in texas - where did you hear/read that? I'd love to see a link. I've heard a different rumor about where and who has the first one.

Regarding:

i thought he succeeded not that long ago... i saw pictures somewhere of a tank with like 10 premna and three of them had the lightning pattern...
and:

breed at $hit ton of other $2500 light maroon clown babies :).....

Anyways, someone already has successfully did it...

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/04/01/lightning-maroon-clownfish/

he's just being really secretive about it... whatevs, hate maroons anyways...
As Cannon77 said - that was this year's ReefBuilders April Fool's Joke. Here's a blog post on the two year's running Lightning Maroon April Fool's pranks - http://www.lightning-maroon-clownfish.com/?p=844 (title of the blog post was "Building a Mystery" ;) )

I guarantee, if I have successful Lightning Maroon Babies, I will announce them on any day other than April 1st.

FWIW,

Matt

no bro... $texas means a lot of money... since texas is the biggest state in the united states... $texas is like saying a HUGE amount of money that i don't have a clue about...

LOL...

oh, and on RC, people were saying it was a pair... my bad... i never read any links or anything about it... i remember someone emailing me the picture to check if it was photoshoped... after cleaning up both pics, i realized that the silver stripes aren't silver... it's white but the scales make it look so... since it's pin stripped in black... it's a great affect...

after that, i just stood back and read the thread for a while... then said that the fish is meh...

but i have some questions if you don't mind answering...

are you going to be doing some male dominant line breeding...?
is the allele heterogeneous, dominant or recessive...?
is it an allele...??? LOL...
are you trying to breed them with gold stripes to eventually make some super sayan epic awesome LE RARE gold lightning bolt maroon clowns...???

mpedersen

no bro... $texas means a lot of money... since texas is the biggest state in the united states... $texas is like saying a HUGE amount of money that i don't have a clue about...
Ah, I thought that could be it too, but wasn't sure.

LOL...

are you going to be doing some male dominant line breeding...?
I tried to keep the fish male basically the whole first year. I had many reasons, one is the rumor/myth that the striping comes from the male. I have no clue where that thinking came about, but I have my theory that it stems solely from the fact that in the Picasso line, the wild SI Picasso Perc played the male role, and someone somewhere saw that and said "the genes came from the male" and that morphed into "the male is the one who's genes affect striping / patterning etc." Of course, if anyone anywhere has a hard reference on where this is proven as FACT, I certainly want to see it!

is the allele heterogeneous, dominant or recessive...?
is it an allele...??? LOL...
No one knows anything about the genetics at this point in time. Anything said would be solely speculation. That disclaimed, the fact that there has been more than one seen at the same location suggests a genetic factor to me (or an environmental factor to other folks).

are you trying to breed them with gold stripes to eventually make some super sayan epic awesome LE RARE gold lightning bolt maroon clowns...???
Absolutely he11 no ;) Keeping the PNG bloodline clean has been one of my fundamental must-do's. I will never personally breed it a GSM...that would be at the very far end of my possible Maroon mate choices. Only thing worse would be to hybridize it out to another species. All moral/ethical issues aside, the simple fact is that if it is genetic, and since it's only been seen at one place so far, the best chances for finding a mate that maybe carries the same genetics (i.e. a heterozygous fish for a recessive trait) would be to use other fish from the same generalized location. So Fisherman's Island PNG Maroons are the top choice. I was waiting for a female from there, but ultimately one never made it, and when Seasmart was officially "shut down" Jan 1 of this year, I had to switch plans and push for the Lightning to go female (shortest way to get to spawning was to try to pair with the actively spawning PNG male I had on hand).

That's the 411 so far.

Matt

Ah, I thought that could be it too, but wasn't sure.

LOL...
LOL...

I tried to keep the fish male basically the whole first year. I had many reasons, one is the rumor/myth that the striping comes from the male. I have no clue where that thinking came about, but I have my theory that it stems solely from the fact that in the Picasso line, the wild SI Picasso Perc played the male role, and someone somewhere saw that and said "the genes came from the male" and that morphed into "the male is the one who's genes affect striping / patterning etc." Of course, if anyone anywhere has a hard reference on where this is proven as FACT, I certainly want to see it!
well... in all types of breeding, even in fish (like koi)... male dominant breeding is the fastest way to get clones of the actual male... it's the same as chickens... also, most patterns in koi fish are passed down by the male... if you try to get clean patterns off of a female, they come out incomplete... i never heard of the picasso line coming from a wild male picasso perc over a wild female perc... i just said it because it's kind of what breeders do...

No one knows anything about the genetics at this point in time. Anything said would be solely speculation. That disclaimed, the fact that there has been more than one seen at the same location suggests a genetic factor to me (or an environmental factor to other folks).
environmental...? hmm... it might be possible... but something that irratic and different...? i highly doubt it...

there could possibly be a couple of them in the ocean... or maybe one male that had a couple of offspring and they made it around the reefs... like they say, there are plenty of fish in the sea... i'm sure the collectors can't see every specimen out there...

Absolutely he11 no ;) Keeping the PNG bloodline clean has been one of my fundamental must-do's. I will never personally breed it a GSM...that would be at the very far end of my possible Maroon mate choices. Only thing worse would be to hybridize it out to another species. All moral/ethical issues aside, the simple fact is that if it is genetic, and since it's only been seen at one place so far, the best chances for finding a mate that maybe carries the same genetics (i.e. a heterozygous fish for a recessive trait) would be to use other fish from the same generalized location. So Fisherman's Island PNG Maroons are the top choice. I was waiting for a female from there, but ultimately one never made it, and when Seasmart was officially "shut down" Jan 1 of this year, I had to switch plans and push for the Lightning to go female (shortest way to get to spawning was to try to pair with the actively spawning PNG male I had on hand).

That's the 411 so far.

Matt
brosky...

gold stripe lighting maroon clowns...

make it happen...

LOL... j/k...

i understand your point of view... as a breeder, you can't just propagate and create stuff without getting a solid line of your own... just remember, once you get them breeding... cull as much as you can, and cull early...

good luck and keep us posted on your progress... you're very fortunate to have this rare fish...

bahahaha... reefbuilders got me good!... OMG lmfao... I remember reading it and was like "oh cool, whatevers" and moved on with my day without realizing the article's significant date or fact checking it....

if anything, i scored some second hand prank points....

Good luck matt... what other clowns pairs and designer clown pairs have you been successful w/?