125g Rebuild

Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
3,869
Likes
194
Points
48
Location
Murrieta
#1
Recently lost almost all of my corals due to new career and life stressors getting the best of me. I am in the process of turning it all around, and this reef will be no exception. Once had thousands of dollars of high end corals, and now just a couple bullet proof corals. I Will be in the market for nice pieces soon. Picking up a lot of nice sized sps pieces from a local reefer this weekend. Just needed to get the phosphate down to acceptable numbers from .5! I will break out the DSLR once I get some nice pieces growing to document.
Happy reefing !
 

Attachments

calvi

New member
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
97
Likes
39
Points
8
#6
Glad to hear you’re getting back into it.
I’m in a similar boat with a recent reef spark as of late. have the same issue with high phosphate and nitrate. I’m Curious what method are you using to reduce those numbers?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
3,869
Likes
194
Points
48
Location
Murrieta
#7
Glad to hear you’re getting back into it.
I’m in a similar boat with a recent reef spark as of late. have the same issue with high phosphate and nitrate. I’m Curious what method are you using to reduce those numbers?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had Dinos, so I let the tank go and the algae grow for months. This outcompeted the Dinos. I also added bacterial products.

To answer your question, I did about a 50% water change after blowing off and scrubbing all the rockwork. I gravel vacuumed the sand. Cleaned all the glass surfaces with a razor blade. Then I completely took the sump apart, wash everything out, and started with new water and clean equipment. I am now using GFO and carbon in small reactors. Phosphate was down to .1 the other day. Waiting for more reagent for my hanna checker to see what it is now prior to added the sps this weekend .
 

calvi

New member
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
97
Likes
39
Points
8
#8
I had Dinos, so I let the tank go and the algae grow for months. This outcompeted the Dinos. I also added bacterial products.

To answer your question, I did about a 50% water change after blowing off and scrubbing all the rockwork. I gravel vacuumed the sand. Cleaned all the glass surfaces with a razor blade. Then I completely took the sump apart, wash everything out, and started with new water and clean equipment. I am now using GFO and carbon in small reactors. Phosphate was down to .1 the other day. Waiting for more reagent for my hanna checker to see what it is now prior to added the sps this weekend .
That’s awesome. I’m slightly north of .5 right now. The lps love and some of my sps is actually okay with it.

I think I will be putting the gfo online tonight.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
3,869
Likes
194
Points
48
Location
Murrieta
#9
That’s awesome. I’m slightly north of .5 right now. The lps love and some of my sps is actually okay with it.

I think I will be putting the gfo online tonight.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Careful and start with a little amount of GFO if you have sps in the tank that are fine. Lowering it quickly like I did will surely kill them. As long as the redfield ratio is right, they can survive in higher numbers if acclimated slowly to my understanding.
 
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
3,869
Likes
194
Points
48
Location
Murrieta
#19

Attachments

Latest posts

Top